Memory Usage Keeps Increasing

Sweeper

Basically every time I launch minecraft and start up a world or join a server my memory usage just climbs. I've tried to allocate anywhere between 6 to 12 gigs of ram and each time after about 30 minutes of playing I'll check my task manager and I'll be using upwards of 20 gigs.  I'm not sure if this is a PC issue or not. I've tried reinstalling minecraft entirely, I reinstalled java. It happens with and without shaders. All my drivers are up to date. It's happened on every modpack I've launched. In game on my F3 menu it'll tell me I'm only using around 3 gigs but my task manager will tell me I'm using almost all of my ram. Not sure where to go to get help with this. 

PC Specs : 
EVGA GTX 1070
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
24 GB Ram
Not entirely sure if this'll help. 

Well that certainly sounds like a memory leak, but if this happens on every modpack you tried, and if java is up to date then that seems less likely. Is there nothing in the logs? If there's nothing to indicate a leak or something else, it may be beneficial to run a profiler on the jvm, but one step at a time :D 

Just to confirm, under the memory input, additional args can be specified. Do you have any specified here? Namely do you have -Xms set to the same as -Xmx? This may not be the issue, but it's always good to cover your bases first 👍 (I do not actually know if the Java Args will override the Memory specified)

On a side note, does using this much ram cause any issues? It would seem that using 12gb out of 24, while certainly not desired, would leave plenty left for whatever else you would need to be doing while playing minecraft? Just wondering if the additional ram is actually causing any issues, performance related or otherwise. You had mentioned:

task manager and I'll be using upwards of 20 gigs

Can I assume that's the jvm instance usage and not overall system usage?