Custom Modpack Launching Vanilla

Pyrex

I created a modpack, for 1.12.2, and the modpack seems to launch in vanilla only. I also made a 1.7.10 server, to see if it was just a mod issue, but even that is having the same issues. 
I have tried both the universal install, and the installer, in the modpack folder and both have the same issues. I have also used pre 2850 version of forge, and have changed it to post 2850 recently, to try and fix the issue. 

Dropbox file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xbwgw9cteiywe0d/PyPyCraft1.12Pack.zip?dl=1

Modpack link: https://www.technicpack.net/modpack/pypycraft-112-pack.1705635

Edited by Pyrex

When I installed the pack I noticed your modpack.jar was actually called modpack.jar.jar.

You may have done this accidentally as Windows will hide some file extensions by default:

image.png.ef9c99c65a508126ed06c1ce003513a5.png

You can show these by pressing view, and selecting Hidden Items

image.png.238a06cb70c9042ced9b61d09479bf0f.png

Fix that file, I did not test anything else so its possible there are additional issues.

7 minutes ago, TerdyTheTerd said:

When I installed the pack I noticed your modpack.jar was actually called modpack.jar.jar.

You may have done this accidentally as Windows will hide some file extensions by default:

image.png.ef9c99c65a508126ed06c1ce003513a5.png

You can show these by pressing view, and selecting Hidden Items

image.png.238a06cb70c9042ced9b61d09479bf0f.png

Fix that file, I did not test anything else so its possible there are additional issues.

I had accidentally turned hidden items back off, so that's a big goof on my end. 

I fixed it, and now the launcher isn't even launching, which is weird. The modpack seems to not be installing mods anymore. 

There are many errors to fix:

image.png.9c343dc3f59c6d16a4f743a562198d8f.png

To get to this screen you need to install Forgelin, as is required by BetterFoliage: (And should also update the version of BF while you are at)

image.png.b87e44b9225c4c3562689e9e16129a7d.png

Did you even test this pack before attempting to upload it? Several of your mods are severely out of date, is there a reason for this?

Edited by TerdyTheTerd

No, this is still my first attempt at making a modpack, so I have very little idea of what I am doing. 

Some mods are probably out of date, due to the fact I copied from other packs, instead of just redownloading the newer versions, which I didn't check for. 

I will go update the mods, and work on getting the required mods I am missing, and retry. Thanks

Ahh that explains it, I can't blame you that's how I first learned when I ran into issues. This of course makes it rather easy to skip over the required mods for many of the larger mods, unless of course you just happen to know all of them.

I usually recommend creating the pack on a vanilla profile to make sure all the mods load up before trying to zip it up and put it on Technic.

Yep! This is a process to learn, that's for sure! Anything I should know/use for testing? I am sure I am missing tons of things, as it's not launching still, so I need to check more for sure.

I am not sure what you mean by "creating the pack on a vanilla profile," but I will look into that for sure!

Install forge on the vanilla launcher, then get all your mods added into that and anything else like configs, custom resources etc. Then once everything works you can copy over the relevant folders to your modpack location (keep a separate location for this, I like to call it my staging location, where I create the zip file for uploading from) and zip it up. Saves time not having to zip up the file and upload it each time.

You will need to get used to opening up the log files and reading them, or crash reports of it crashes. Technic has a discord which includes an early stage log reader than can quickly help identify issues found in it.

Always make sure you read the mods release page, it often includes useful information about know issues, compatibility and required dependencies.