No More Mojang or Minecraft.net Accounts

austin3410

So by the off chance of bad timing, a friend of mine bought Minecraft Java edition a few days ago. The problem is, starting on December 1, 2020. When you purchase Minecraft, you must purchase it through Microsoft, with a Microsoft account. At no point do you create a Minecraft.net or Mojang account. The problem appears when trying to use Technic. Technic specifically asks for a Mojang or Minecraft.net account.

You can no longer create a Minecraft.net or Mojang account at all. Any attempts to do so (using the published methods) will lead you to creating a Microsoft account.

Are there any plans on the Technic development roadmap to natively support Microsoft account logins? Or any sort of work around my friend could use today to let him use the Technic launcher?

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks,
Austin

Also I'm very new to the forum so if I've posted this in the wrong location please kindly let me know and I'll move elsewhere :)

5 hours ago, okallasch said:

Damn, I just re buy minecraft, because i cant reach my old one account and now I see, I cant still use technic luncher. :( Please is there any way how to play this great tech pack until you figure how to use microsoft accounts? 

I was able to figure out a way around it... kinda.

You need to have a friend (or another MC account that can login to Technic) download the modpack you want to play. Then copy the modpacks install dir from their system to your system (just instead of using the .technic folder, just use the .minecraft folder). Then from the regular MC launcher you can create a new version using that directory as its install location. Depending on the modpack you'll also have to create a Forge version of vanilla MC and use that version as the version to create the modpack. It's kinda hard to explain but once you have all the pieces I was able to get everything setup on my friends system pretty quickly.

12 hours ago, austin3410 said:

You need to have a friend (or another MC account that can login to Technic) download the modpack you want to play. Then copy the modpacks install dir from their system to your system (just instead of using the .technic folder, just use the .minecraft folder). Then from the regular MC launcher you can create a new version using that directory as its install location. Depending on the modpack you'll also have to create a Forge version of vanilla MC and use that version as the version to create the modpack. It's kinda hard to explain but once you have all the pieces I was able to get everything setup on my friends system pretty quickly.

Sound good, I think I can try this. Thank you. 

So as an early X-mas present I got my son the Java version yesterday so he could join me on the community Perfectly complex server I play on with some friends. 

After some digging today I found that we are 10 days past the forced Microsoft account situation and the copy I bought him seems to be unable to launch the technic with the MS account credentials. 

He is pretty bummed as am I, we enjoy playing together but he's watched me take plastic out of trees to build elevators and of course wants to join in, was excited to buy this version for him. 

It seems Microsoft will be doing this to everyone in Q1 2021, so is it possible that there will be an official workaround in the relatively near future?

Going to try austin's workaround as I have technic all set up on my machine and can login on my account, will let you know if I can get it working. 

On 12/5/2020 at 6:53 PM, austin3410 said:

I've got the folder downloaded on his machine and I've found how to make a custom install on the launcher. What folder should the install be pointed to so it will load the mod? I'm not having much luck. I should add I'm trying to load the 1.12.2 Perfectly Complex pack, and am setting the version to 1.12.2. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. 

intelekt22 - Is this the pack you're talking about - https://www.technicpack.net/modpack/the-1122-pack.1406454
Same type of experience, just bought a java version for my other kiddo.  Who can't play on the server running at the house though the Technic Launcher.  Until Microsoft releases a method for 3rd party launchers to authenticate accounts... or revamp their methodology as to when an active session is created we may be out of luck.

Experimenting with the pack to see if I can get the workaround functional.

Note: Doesn't matter which account on technic logs into to grab the modpack.  There may be some difficulty in dealing with locating the appdata folder for a particular user if you are moving between windows profiles.  If that is the case let me know and I'll see about explaining it.  To shortcut that entire process just run the technic launcher on the windows profile your kiddo is going to be playing on.  Log in as you to get the modpack and then log out.  You basically just want the 'curated' list of mods in a single convient location.

So far it looks decent.  Steps I've run through.

1. In the Native Minecraft Launcher (that has you login with the microsoft creds or mojang creds) run the game at least once.  You've likely done this several times, so this is probably done.
2. Go download forge for minecraft 1.12.2.  Point the installer for the client at the minecraft folder.  If you used default settings you won't need to change the setting.  When you run it, it will install a profile for forge.
3. Run the minecraft launcher again, launch forge 1.12.2.  Update the installation to run with more than 2G of ram.  This is the option that might read "-Xmx2G ...."  This reflects 2 GBs of ram as an upper limit that is reserved.  If you pick too much ram you may find periodic lag for garbage collection.  If you pick a number that is too small you may find a stack overflow (stack meeting the heap).  4GB is just about the minimum that you MUST give in order to even attempt to launch this modpack.  Watching the memory utilization was rather entertaining as it was building... I would suggest 5GB.  There were sufficient hangs in the start up processes waiting on garbage collection during that time at 4GB of Ram.  This will create the mod folder you need and do some other behind the scenes stuff.  Close it down after it launches.
4. In one window open the %appdata% folder and .minecraft folder and find the mods folder.
5. In another window open the %appdata% folder and .technic folder and open the mods folder for the version you are looking to transplant.
6. Select all, copy the mods (folder's included in the mod folder) into the .minecraft mods folder.

7. Launch the native launcher and try to run the now modded forge profile.

The game at least launches at this point from the native launcher.  I can't speak to if it will match the mod list on the server.  Please give some feedback if this worked for you.

Notes: I've gotten one crash report of mantle and tinkers construct causing an issue... though it was with a stack overflow because I didn't allocate enough ram (forgot to alter the java arg initially)  It didn't show again as I launched at 4GB.  There are fairly substantial lag times with 4GB of ram.

Additionally discovered - [Edit]
The server I run at the house launched from forge 1.12.2 wont accept clients from technic.   Something about a missing registry entry.  I haven't solved it... though if you run the same process and launch everyone from the native launcher the connect fine.  I have no idea what the exact difference is... sorry if this is jacked up.  I hope microsoft provides some kind of rest API or something for the 3rd party launchers to be able to use.

Edited by Xian Archangel

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 8:33 PM, austin3410 said:

So by the off chance of bad timing, a friend of mine bought Minecraft Java edition a few days ago. The problem is, starting on December 1, 2020. When you purchase Minecraft, you must purchase it through Microsoft, with a Microsoft account. At no point do you create a Minecraft.net or Mojang account. The problem appears when trying to use Technic. Technic specifically asks for a Mojang or Minecraft.net account.

You can no longer create a Minecraft.net or Mojang account at all. Any attempts to do so (using the published methods) will lead you to creating a Microsoft account.

Are there any plans on the Technic development roadmap to natively support Microsoft account logins? Or any sort of work around my friend could use today to let him use the Technic launcher?

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks,
Austin

Also I'm very new to the forum so if I've posted this in the wrong location please kindly let me know and I'll move elsewhere :)

sorry idk