Launcher crash by minimum memory requirement, causing Minecraft not to load

simonmicro

Question

As first the relevant section of the console logs:

[B#693] 2021/09/19 20:52:55 [SEVERE] java.lang.NullPointerException
[B#693] 2021/09/19 20:52:55 [SEVERE] 	at net.technicpack.utilslib.Memory.getClosestAvailableMemory(Memory.java:73)
[B#693] 2021/09/19 20:52:55 [SEVERE] 	at net.technicpack.launchercore.modpacks.RunData.getValidMemory(RunData.java:84)
[B#693] 2021/09/19 20:52:55 [SEVERE] 	at net.technicpack.launcher.ui.components.FixRunDataDialog.recommendSettings(FixRunDataDialog.java:96)
[B#693] 2021/09/19 20:52:55 [SEVERE] 	at net.technicpack.launcher.ui.components.FixRunDataDialog.<init>(FixRunDataDialog.java:52)
[B#693] 2021/09/19 20:52:55 [SEVERE] 	at net.technicpack.launcher.launch.Installer$1.run(Installer.java:145)
[B#693] 2021/09/19 20:52:55 [SEVERE] 	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829)
[B#693] 2021/09/19 20:54:47 [INFO] Attempting to open /home/***/.technic/logs
[B#693] 2021/09/19 20:54:47 [INFO] Using file:/home/***/.technic/logs/
[B#693] 2021/09/19 20:54:47 [INFO] Intermediary path file:///home/***/.technic/logs/

This only happens, when the modpack selected specifies a minimum memory requirement, which is not fulfilled. Normally a window detailing this problem would show up, but I guess there is the problem. This bug does not happen when the memory requirement is satisfied and appears on all platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac).

The launcher does not hide or react in any other way than displaying the "Play" button after pressing.

10 answers to this question

10 hours ago, simonmicro said:

It is my own, so I've tested everything from 512MB to 256GB - every time the allocated memory for minecraft is not enough, this happens (meaning you select 1GB and the pack needs 2GB -> warning would be shown, but instead it crashes silently).

I can only get this to trigger the moment I go 1 MB above 16 GB (thus, 16385, 16384 gives the warning). Is this the same in your case, or are there other values that didn't work?

Hi,

I can trigger this also for other values, you should be able to also trigger it when you lower your allocated memory for Minecraft. Open the launcher settings and set it inside the Java section e.g. to a value of 2GB. The error should now also occur if you are requiring >2GB.

8 hours ago, simonmicro said:

Hi,

I can trigger this also for other values, you should be able to also trigger it when you lower your allocated memory for Minecraft. Open the launcher settings and set it inside the Java section e.g. to a value of 2GB. The error should now also occur if you are requiring >2GB.

That got me the warning screen instead, hence my confusion on the matter.

6 hours ago, simonmicro said:

Hi,

okay, something we are doing different... I recorded my steps to reproduce this bug - if you follow them "frame-by-frame" you should be able to trigger it.

The bug you show in your video is actually a slightly different one, but with a known cause: If you don't set a recommended java, but do set recommended RAM, you get that particular error.

• Forum Administrators

There are 2 bugs at play here:

- One has to do with setting RAM but not Java in the requirements, which is being tracked at https://github.com/TechnicPack/LauncherV3/issues/190.

- One that has to do with setting a higher RAM requirement than the launcher allows (16 GB), which you found out and is being tracked at https://github.com/TechnicPack/LauncherV3/issues/209.

The code surrounding the first one is a complete mess and fixing it is likely going to be a challenge; the second bug should be fairly easy to fix as long as the UI doesn't break completely (it's the same area as the first bug).