A question from a noob

First off apologies if this is in the wrong section or has been answered a million time already and not knowing my arse from my elbow with these computer thingymagigs.

I play minecraft on a dell inspiron 1545 and it copes ok, but obviously now I've found the technic pack it's started to struggle. And what I was wondering was would running it over a LAN network using another dell 1545 as a host or signing up to an online server (looking at nitrous-networks basic account) improve the performance? Or have I grabbed totaly the wrong end of a used stick?

Nah, it wouldn't really help, as far as I know. Then again, I'm not really the server-genius around here. All I know is that when I play on my client (not logged into a server), and when I play on the server, the CPU/GPU loads are pretty much the same. Sorry brah :/

No problem. The server really doesn't do many of the things that are graphically taxing on your system. The client has to manage the graphics and stuff, while the server kinda does the calculations for stuff like redstone, machines, and other block updates (I think). So, the load wouldn't really be split, as the graphics part is the most intensive by far. Well, I do suppose that maybe since the server can take advantage of threading, that it may be a little easier on the CPU... but I dunno. Probably no net difference in the end.

Memory usage is because in SSP, once a chunk loads, it stays in memory till you exit the world. In SMP, only the chunks around you (short, normal, far views change the number and radius) are loaded, and they unload when you leave that chunk's threshold. Which is why chunkloaders are necessary when you deal with quarries, engines, IC2 energy, etc.

To help with memory load i usually do two things , I shut off the Millenaire and Matmos (add the ambient sounds) Mods and it make a 30fps difference in my game play.

To shut off individual Mods go into your Config folder and open modloader.ini in a text editor and just change any mods you want to unload from =on to =off and they shouldn't load next time you start up Technic (this only works for SP tho).

I hope this helps.

To help with memory load i usually do two things , I shut off the Millenaire and Matmos (add the ambient sounds) Mods and it make a 30fps difference in my game play.

To shut off individual Mods go into your Config folder and open modloader.ini in a text editor and just change any mods you want to unload from =on to =off and they shouldn't load next time you start up Technic (this only works for SP tho).

I hope this helps.

ModLoader.cfg, dude.

Sorry i have extensions shut off and just assumed they where .ini files .

Windows "features" like that, make people who otherwise would be competent computer-users, into dribbling wigglers. Turn your extensions back on, and be free, and never get laughed at for making "README.txt.txt".

A quick update for any that care.

Tried various things to improve performance with mixed results.

So stumped up a massive £4 and started a nitrous-networks basic server fps now loads better. Ok I have to use tekkit and not technic so have lost a few mods but still worth it.

So far (1week in) the server provider has been very help full, answering problems quickly ( problems caused by me trying to add mods)

Only issue I can see is their forum seems to have been shut down? Which might be a bad sign.