Making my own mod

bocaj1234567

I have known some java for a while now (I will have to brush up if I want to make a mod though). My idea is to make a server with my own mod in it. I am not sure if I would use Tekkit stuff at all on the server. What is the best way to get the mod to the users? Should I make it for Tekkit Classic or Tekkit Lite or should I just make my own launcher? Is it even a good idea to use forgebukkit?

the custom zips feature would be great for your situation. totally up to you if you want to use it along with tekkit or not though, I'd say that's just up to personal preference. if you don't, you can use the vanilla pack + custom zip to have a pack that is just your mod or the mods you want specifically.

if you do use tekkit, the choice of tekkit classic vs tekkit lite will probably be down to which version of MC you want to make a mod for. since classic uses 1.2.5 still, you'd have to make the mod for that version if you want to use it.

the custom zips feature would be great for your situation. totally up to you if you want to use it along with tekkit or not though, I'd say that's just up to personal preference. if you don't, you can use the vanilla pack + custom zip to have a pack that is just your mod or the mods you want specifically.

if you do use tekkit, the choice of tekkit classic vs tekkit lite will probably be down to which version of MC you want to make a mod for. since classic uses 1.2.5 still, you'd have to make the mod for that version if you want to use it.

Would it be a good idea to use Tekkit Classic because forgebukkit will probably not be updated?

If you create a forge mod, it uses forge and so bukkitforge (or forgebukkit - a dead project) is not needed. If you make it for recent versions of minecraft (and so aim for tekkit lite) it will be able to be used in tekkit lite easily. However, if you make it for Minecraft 1.2.5, it wil work with the current stable version of Technic (but not when it updates) and you will need also write a bukkit version to have it work on Tekkit Classic servers.

If you create a bukkit plugin (server side only) that uses the Bukkit API, it will work for Tekkit Classic and bukkitforge will be used for Tekkit lite. If you use things specific to Craftbukkit (what the server runs) then it will not work with tekkit lite, even with bukkitforge.

I would suggest making it for Tekkit lite (you will also allow Technic users to play when the next Technic comes out).

If you create a forge mod, it uses forge and so bukkitforge (or forgebukkit - a dead project) is not needed. If you make it for recent versions of minecraft (and so aim for tekkit lite) it will be able to be used in tekkit lite easily. However, if you make it for Minecraft 1.2.5, it wil work with the current stable version of Technic (but not when it updates) and you will need also write a bukkit version to have it work on Tekkit Classic servers.

If you create a bukkit plugin (server side only) that uses the Bukkit API, it will work for Tekkit Classic and bukkitforge will be used for Tekkit lite. If you use things specific to Craftbukkit (what the server runs) then it will not work with tekkit lite, even with bukkitforge.

I would suggest making it for Tekkit lite (you will also allow Technic users to play when the next Technic comes out).

I would want to make it for Tekkit Lite but I would rather not constantly update it. But if I do make it for Tekkit Lite, I would just make a forge mod. Then I would use bukkitforge for the server side mod?

I would want to make it for Tekkit Lite but I would rather not constantly update it. But if I do make it for Tekkit Lite, I would just make a forge mod. Then I would use bukkitforge for the server side mod?

The beauty of having a forge mod and a forge based server (which is what Tekkit lite server is) is that, provided you build your mod to best practices, the one mod will work for servers as well as clients. No Bukkitforge needed.

As for updating it, you will need to update it as new versions of Minecraft come out and Technic and Tekkit follow it. Depending on the size and content of your mod and the changes introduced, the amout of change to move between versions varies:

• Basically none: The move from 1.4.6 to 1.4.7 was one of these. Authors basically put up a notice to say "The 1.4.6 version will work with 1.4.7".
  • Minimal: For lots of mods the move from 1.4.5 to 1.4.6 was as simple as the mod author getting the new jars from mojang and recomiling.
  • Small: Some mods require some small changes. Look at these changes that were made to EE3 to update from 1.4.5 to 1.4.6
  • Medium-Large: The minecraft update changes stuff used in the mod. Probably going to be this kind of change for redstone mods (e.g. redpower) for minecraft 1.5.
  • Large: Single player only mods that were in 1.2.5 would have needed to add server stuff, stuff to send data between client and server and so on when changing to minecraft 1.3 (basically forced you to write a multiplayer mod*)

If you open source the mod (either form the start or at the end of the mod's life) then others can take over when you don't want to update it.

Note: I have actually not maintainted a mod through these revisions, these are my thoughts, so I may be wrong.

* Yes you actually can write a single player only mod in current versions of minecraft, it just does not save you much work.

The beauty of having a forge mod and a forge based server (which is what Tekkit lite server is) is that, provided you build your mod to best practices, the one mod will work for servers as well as clients. No Bukkitforge needed.

As for updating it, you will need to update it as new versions of Minecraft come out and Technic and Tekkit follow it. Depending on the size and content of your mod and the changes introduced, the amout of change to move between versions varies:

• Basically none: The move from 1.4.6 to 1.4.7 was one of these. Authors basically put up a notice to say "The 1.4.6 version will work with 1.4.7".
  • Minimal: For lots of mods the move from 1.4.5 to 1.4.6 was as simple as the mod author getting the new jars from mojang and recomiling.
  • Small: Some mods require some small changes. Look at these changes that were made to EE3 to update from 1.4.5 to 1.4.6
  • Medium-Large: The minecraft update changes stuff used in the mod. Probably going to be this kind of change for redstone mods (e.g. redpower) for minecraft 1.5.
  • Large: Single player only mods that were in 1.2.5 would have needed to add server stuff, stuff to send data between client and server and so on when changing to minecraft 1.3 (basically forced you to write a multiplayer mod*)

If you open source the mod (either form the start or at the end of the mod's life) then others can take over when you don't want to update it.

Note: I have actually not maintainted a mod through these revisions, these are my thoughts, so I may be wrong.

* Yes you actually can write a single player only mod in current versions of minecraft, it just does not save you much work.

So I would simply download forge and set it up from http://files.minecraftforge.net and then I can start modding?

I would not be surprised if Workbench turns out to be basically a less-powerful Bukkit copy and not very useful for custom blocks/items/mobs. Forge is probably the best solution for now. Spout's new client and server will, if I understand correctly, be far more powerful and maintainable than Forge. So far the server part is nearing beta and the client hasn't made it to alpha.

Also, is it even worth making a mod now because of mcapi coming soon? Or is it not so soon...?

It is coming soon™. There are several things which mojang has promised us we would get in 1.4. Now they are saying "it will happen after 1.5 is released". So it is more a case of "I'll believe it when I see it" for most people.

The Minecraft API is an unknown because so little has actually been done on its public git, but will likely be strongly influenced by the Bukkit devs brought on at Mojang.

I haven't looked much at the Spout API, but if it intends to be Better Than Forge, it'll be double-edged; Forge/FML makes a lot of compromises to be compatible with ModLoader mods, and if Spout eschews compatibility for a fresh start, that may impair its appeal. Of course, if Spout is easier to use than Forge (which is notoriously inscrutable and under-documented), it could more than make up for breaking compatibility.

But besides all that, "waiting" is the worst option. Better off coding it in any API than wasting time not doing what you want.

It is coming soon™. There are several things which mojang has promised us we would get in 1.4. Now they are saying "it will happen after 1.5 is released". So it is more a case of "I'll believe it when I see it" for most people.

I am also confused about something else... if an update comes out for tekkit lite, then the user is prompted to update. The user then upgrades to the latest tekkit lite and my mod may not work. Also, how will the client know when I update my mod? How will the client know that the file on download link has been changed?

If you are using the custom zip feature, then it will keep using the custom zip. If you update your mod, you update your zip.

If you are manually adding your mod, you will need to manually update the mod.

So does it download the custom again zip every time the user logs in and deletes it when the user closes tekkit?