Bukkit or Forge?

bocaj1234567

I want to make a world generator for my server which will be for my mod. I might have more than one server with the mod, so should I make the world generator with Bukkit or with Forge? Also, I heard that you do not need to make a server side mod if you make a mod with forge. Is that true? Should I use bukkit or forge for other server side stuff?

1.2.5? Bukkit.

1.4+? Forge.

With forge you can make a mod that's server side only, so you don't have to distribute it to players. As long as it doesn't add blocks or art.

I know... but I already am making a mod that must be distributed to players. The problem is, I do not know if I should make the world generator and other stuff that is only needed on the server with the bukkit api or forge.

Again.

1.2.5, do it with bukkit.

1.4+, do it with forge.

So I want 1.4+ I think... so I do it with forge? Does that mean that I can't use bukkit plugins? Also, I want it to be so I can have different servers with different world generators. Bukkit would make this easier, right, because I could have a modified plugin for each server?

Bukkit and forge do not play nice in 1.4+ last I checked, so you can't use bukkit plugins with forge mods after 1.2.5.

It's why we have tekkit classic and tekkit lite. Classic is available because people want large servers, which need bukkit plugins to manage properly right now. Lite is meant for small dedicated servers, since you only have essentials available as a forge servermod right now.

If you're going 1.4+, you need to use forge for it so your mods are all compatible.

Bukkit and forge do not play nice in 1.4+ last I checked, so you can't use bukkit plugins with forge mods after 1.2.5.

It's why we have tekkit classic and tekkit lite. Classic is available because people want large servers, which need bukkit plugins to manage properly right now. Lite is meant for small dedicated servers, since you only have essentials available as a forge servermod right now.

If you're going 1.4+, you need to use forge for it so your mods are all compatible.

So I want a large server... So I should use classic? Also, how does forge work with client vs server? I heard that I do not have to write a server side mod, so do I just need the mod installed on the server and the client and it runs smoothly...?

Classic has a limited lifespan left, and as time goes by the bukkit plugins necessary to successfully run a large server will be ported or recreated in forge. If you don't have your feet in the 1.2.5 waters yet, it's best to just start on the latest version.

I have no clue what you mean by no server mod. 1.2.5 and before you wrote you mod then made another copy of the code and altered the necessary function calls so it would run on the server code.

As of 1.3 you now write it all under one package and use annotations to tell the host software what is server only code and what is client only code.

You still have to write the server side stuff, it's just the client is now a server as well so it's all rolled into one now.

Classic has a limited lifespan left, and as time goes by the bukkit plugins necessary to successfully run a large server will be ported or recreated in forge. If you don't have your feet in the 1.2.5 waters yet, it's best to just start on the latest version.

I have no clue what you mean by no server mod. 1.2.5 and before you wrote you mod then made another copy of the code and altered the necessary function calls so it would run on the server code.

As of 1.3 you now write it all under one package and use annotations to tell the host software what is server only code and what is client only code.

You still have to write the server side stuff, it's just the client is now a server as well so it's all rolled into one now.

So if someone downloads the mod, that person can create a server with my mod?

Ahh "bukkitforge developer", so my info is out of date. I should probably start reading more sections of this place...

There ya go bocaj, get bukkitforge and make a bukkit plugin.

And yes, if you can start a server with a mod anyone else who has that mod can start a server with it. That's usually not a problem unless you think your is idea so awesome that players will flock to it, and you don't want competition from other servers. In reality players tend to avoid stuff like that, too much effort for a server they might not like.

Ahh "bukkitforge developer", so my info is out of date. I should probably start reading more sections of this place...

There ya go bocaj, get bukkitforge and make a bukkit plugin.

And yes, if you can start a server with a mod anyone else who has that mod can start a server with it. That's usually not a problem unless you think your is idea so awesome that players will flock to it, and you don't want competition from other servers. In reality players tend to avoid stuff like that, too much effort for a server they might not like.

OK but I should still use forge to create the new blocks and all stuff that is not server side right? I want to use bukkit for most of the server-side stuff because I do not want others to start servers just like mine easily. With Bukkit, the players to do not have access to my custom plugins.

I want to use bukkit for most of the server-side stuff because I do not want others to start servers just like mine easily.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

Now, I have to ask. What is your mod idea and why do you think you stand to gain more from jealously guarding it on your server exclusively vs releasing it for others to use?

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

Now, I have to ask. What is your mod idea and why do you think you stand to gain more from jealously guarding it on your server exclusively vs releasing it for others to use?

Well, it is sort of combining a lot of ideas... basically it is Minecraft with guns and grenades and missiles. There are two levels to the map: the ground and then there is a platform above it that goes over the whole map that you must stack up to if you want to build a skybase. You can build a protected house that can only be destroyed with explosives. While there are other mods that have guns and all of these things, I want control of the development. Gameplay is based around building a base, expanding the base, protecting the base, and firing missiles at other bases. I got the idea of missiles from voltz but I want guns and grenades as well. Also, if you are not into mining and then firing missiles, you can go around with guns and grenades attacking bases.

And you really feel you have more to gain by keeping the mod exclusive to your server, than releasing it to the world and tossing up a donation link?

I just don't want to make it super easy for players to create servers with it because that could form competition. Also, I would want multiple servers, and some would have different gameplay. For example, I might want to make a mini games server. I could have a bukkit plugin for each one. And instead of having players donate just for no reason, I would rather have them donate for guns or something or a rank. It would be fine if some people created a server with my mod I guess (it is hard to stop them), but I just want my server to dominate.

If you're going to add blocks, use Forge for both sides.

Then what is the point of BukkitForge? The only reason why someone would use forge is if that person is adding blocks or somehow changing the client. If someone does not want to use forge, that person would use Bukkit on the server, and therefore would not need BukkitForge...

Because there are a lot of bukkit plugins that are not currently available as forge mods? Plugins that do things very beneficial to the smooth running of servers? Servers that would be extremely dull as just vanilla?

Have you never seen a classic tekkit server in action? Witnessed what crossing over the two separate mod development communities can do?

Because there are a lot of bukkit plugins that are not currently available as forge mods? Plugins that do things very beneficial to the smooth running of servers? Servers that would be extremely dull as just vanilla?

Have you never seen a classic tekkit server in action? Witnessed what crossing over the two separate mod development communities can do?

I OWN A TEKKITCLASSIC SERVER... I am just confused about what the BukkitForge developer said. He said if I add blocks with forge I should use forge mods instead of bukkit...

If you're going to add blocks, use Forge for both sides.

Then what is the point of BukkitForge? The only reason why someone would use forge is if that person is adding blocks or somehow changing the client. If someone does not want to use forge, that person would use Bukkit on the server, and therefore would not need BukkitForge...

Because to add blocks you NEED to modify the client. The client needs to know what texture to use, how the block behaves, etc.

Because to add blocks you NEED to modify the client. The client needs to know what texture to use, how the block behaves, etc.

I know that.... but before you wrote that if I add blocks I should use forge for both sides which would mean not using BukkitForge right? Or did you just mean that I would need forge for both the client an the server.... so would still encourage using Bukkit plugins on the server with BukkitForge after adding blocks with forge.... ok that is good.

• 1 month later...

I'm new to development which is why I ended up here because of wanting to know what exactly Forgebukkit is - and my understanding from reading all of this, please correct me if I am wrong, is that forge is what better supports the Minecraft modification itself, like blocks, recipies, mobs and etc, making it easier to have it work on a multi-player server for all the players to interact with. As for the bukkit part of the name, it's what includes the bukkit API allowing the server administrator to run the bukkit plugins which is needed more or less.

That being said, forgebukkit is what makes the mod playable on a multi-player server between players, which also allows more functionality from bukkit plugins.

@keepcalm Would I be correct in saying this?

• 1 year later...