Thinking of giving Tekkit lite a try, but i have a few questions

Hello. I tried Tekkit out about less than a year ago, around the time minecraft 1.3 came out. Since then i started a new vanilla server and i have been thinking of switching over to Tekkit Lite.

However i see that a lot has changed since then, and with minecraft modding the way it is right now I'm trying to gather more information before i make any massive changes to my server

1. Would it be worth switching to Tekkit at this time? What i mean by that is, the minecraft modding API is going to be coming sooner or later, and the recent changes upcoming in minecraft 1.5 point to sooner. So i don't want to end up installing something which may be unable to work with minecraft when the modding API is released. So what do other people think, or will it be possible for tekkit to work alongside mods which use the minecraft modding API in the future (though its kinda hard to predict what the official modding support for minecraft will even be like right now, I would like get some input from other users.)

2. Is there an API to develop mods for tekkit? I am interested in building some mods, but the minecraft forums offer little help or documentation, and the community over there is not that great to put it nicely. I do have experience making bukkit plugins, but that's probably comparing apples and oranges when it comes to bukkit plugins and full blown mods

3. So from what i understand, the way tekkit works now is that it allows server owners to put together mods, and clients connecting to the server using the technic client have them automatically installed depending on the configuration of the server its connecting to.

That's all the questions i have right now, if i come up with any more ill make sure to post them.

Hello. I tried Tekkit out about less than a year ago, around the time minecraft 1.3 came out. Since then i started a new vanilla server and i have been thinking of switching over to Tekkit Lite.

However i see that a lot has changed since then, and with minecraft modding the way it is right now I'm trying to gather more information before i make any massive changes to my server

1. Would it be worth switching to Tekkit at this time? What i mean by that is, the minecraft modding API is going to be coming sooner or later, and the recent changes upcoming in minecraft 1.5 point to sooner. So i don't want to end up installing something which may be unable to work with minecraft when the modding API is released. So what do other people think, or will it be possible for tekkit to work alongside mods which use the minecraft modding API in the future (though its kinda hard to predict what the official modding support for minecraft will even be like right now, I would like get some input from other users.)

The API isn't going to change the way mods work, it's just going to make MAKING them easier. So, yes. It's worth switching, if only to take advantaga of some newer, really fun mods.

2. Is there an API to develop mods for tekkit? I am interested in building some mods, but the minecraft forums offer little help or documentation, and the community over there is not that great to put it nicely. I do have experience making bukkit plugins, but that's probably comparing apples and oranges when it comes to bukkit plugins and full blown mods
Nope. You don't mod Tekkit, you mod minecraft, and add those mods to tekkit. The API for minecraft will fix that (if it ever comes out), and some bigger mods include APIs for doing things with their mods.

3. So from what i understand, the way tekkit works now is that it allows server owners to put together mods, and clients connecting to the server using the technic client have them automatically installed depending on the configuration of the server its connecting to.
Not quite. We have Platform now, which allows anyone to make a modpack, regardless of server status, and publish it in our index. The benefit of installing a premade modpack is that all the mods and configs will be the same, but that information is given via the launcher and the modpack publisher. Their server doesn't actually push anything.

Thanks for the reply, that clears up a lot.

So really i just need to convince my userbase to download and run the technic client, but if the client is as easy to use as i remember, that shouldn't be a problem

And one more question: Is tekkit lite able to run bukkit plugins. From looking at the description on the front page it does not seem like it, but after looking through the forums i found bukkitforge, which seems like a fork of bukkit which can be used on tekkit lite servers. So does this mean that all mod packs are capable with running together with bukkit forge, or are only certain modpacks able to be used alongside bukkitforge. This is rather big for me since all the users on my server use many different bukkit plugins all the time.

Thanks for the reply, that clears up a lot.

So really i just need to convince my userbase to download and run the technic client, but if the client is as easy to use as i remember, that shouldn't be a problem

And one more question: Is tekkit lite able to run bukkit plugins. From looking at the description on the front page it does not seem like it, but after looking through the forums i found bukkitforge, which seems like a fork of bukkit which can be used on tekkit lite servers. So does this mean that all mod packs are capable with running together with bukkit forge, or are only certain modpacks able to be used alongside bukkitforge. This is rather big for me since all the users on my server use many different bukkit plugins all the time.

That's a rather sticky issue. Some things run just fine under forgebukkit or whatever, but some do not. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about that, but i'm sure they have an IRC channel you could ask around in. Bukkit is gone. No longer updated because they went off to join mojang. This was a particularly productive choice because.... uh.... Well, they've made a lot of improvements to... uhmmmm...

Well, bukkit's gone.

Oh wow, i never realized that happened. I knew that some of the team joined Mojang but well, didn't know they just abandoned everything... Maybe i was thinking about Craftbukkit though, im really not sure any more they seem to use the word 'bukkit' for many different things

Oh wow, i never realized that happened. I knew that some of the team joined Mojang but well, didn't know they just abandoned everything... Maybe i was thinking about Craftbukkit though, im really not sure any more they seem to use the word 'bukkit' for many different things

They do, and me being wrong is always a possibility. As i said, im not particularly well informed about bukkit. But last i heard, bukkit itself was no more.

Im guessing your talking about the Safeguard versioning Policy bukkit added in January. After going through the bukkit forums it definitely seems to be causing developers problems, like the guy who works on the traincarts mod said it makes debugging at least 100 times more difficult without using NMS code