Where to start with making a mod pack?

Walter Hugh Leonard Jr

Hey guys, I've been playing Tekkit for a long time, and with the release of Tekkit lite, I have been making a few modifications to the pack to suit the play style of my friends and I. I don't mean this to be a low-effort post (as I have extensively read the rules, getting banned isn't fun!). I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where to begin if I were to create my own mod pack? All I currently know is that I would need to ask all the developers of the mods for their permission to use their mods in my pack. Asides from that, will I need permission from the developers of forge? Is there some special licensing to go through to have a mod pack available to the public? Any insight or help is very much appreciated! I am new to the forum, but a long time player. I hope the community on the forums is just as good as the community of players!

there is a tutorial on the home page (of technic.net not the fourms), that is were i would start.

as for permissions, some mods don't require permissions, so do but want you to ask, and others say no absolutely.

no you don't need permission for forge, i consider it a tool that everyone uses...its like asking for permission to make an iron pickaxe or to cheat items in your testing and cheating world.

EDIT: good job on reading the rules...we all like it when people read the rules...

Hey guys, I've been playing Tekkit for a long time, and with the release of Tekkit lite, I have been making a few modifications to the pack to suit the play style of my friends and I. I don't mean this to be a low-effort post (as I have extensively read the rules, getting banned isn't fun!). I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where to begin if I were to create my own mod pack? All I currently know is that I would need to ask all the developers of the mods for their permission to use their mods in my pack. Asides from that, will I need permission from the developers of forge? Is there some special licensing to go through to have a mod pack available to the public? Any insight or help is very much appreciated! I am new to the forum, but a long time player. I hope the community on the forums is just as good as the community of players!

I would ask for permissions for all mods where the dev hasn't made it very clear if you are free to use it or not, follow the devs conditions, and the only licensing you need is permission from the devs and having it work. If your pack is good and solid, and works let me know I like mod packs made by people who don't know what they are doing. Sometimes you see some interesting mods in them.

EDIT: good job on reading the rules...we all like it when people read the rules...

I haven't read this particular forum's rules, I just follow universal rules that every forum has.

I would ask for permissions for all mods where the dev hasn't made it very clear if you are free to use it or not, follow the devs conditions, and the only licensing you need is permission from the devs and having it work. If your pack is good and solid, and works let me know I like mod packs made by people who don't know what they are doing. Sometimes you see some interesting mods in them.

I haven't read this particular forum's rules, I just follow universal rules that every forum has.

May I ask the point of that post?

@ OP:

You would download the mods, as per normal.

Then you would create a folder. Say... CustomZip

Then in that folder you would create other folders, such as CustomZip/mods

Add the mods to the mods folder, create another for configs and such. Then you zip it up. And it should work. Anything does not, we might be able to help.

Have fun :)

-blah blah blah-

you should always read the rules on every forum, we got a couple to make sure that people do read them (like signing names for instance)