Launcher spawns THOUSANDS of "attrib.exe" processes

Skuli

Question

Launcher Version: Build 222

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Java Version: Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_07-b10)

Antivirus Program: Antivirus is for pussies

Description of Problem:

Downloading a modpack causes my system to be crushed by up to 3000 "attrib.exe" processes. Each attrib.exe consumes around 600 to 800k of ram, which means my poor system is destroyed by 2gb of memory usage and maxxed CPU usage for like 30 minutes.

It seems to be MUCH worse for modpacks with more files.

Error Messages:

None. General system slowness.

Error Log:

Coming shortly...

9 answers to this question

Occurs every time modpack update happens. Still bugged on later builds.

Damnit. This seems to be a bit of a bump, but this issue is annoying me so much from having to forcefully cut the computer off to fix it one time, that im willing to risk this. Please inquire into this bug a little more.

I'm actually having this same problem. The launcher opens fine, but when I start to download a modpack(usually ones with a large amount of mods/files such as Hexxit), it opens a long list of the same processes, and gets to the point where I can barely keep the computer running. More specifically, it opens a ton of duplicates, of the same 2 things.

"attrib.exe" and "conhost.exe"

Really hoping someone can figure it out, I'd love to try hexxit and play some of the other modpacks, but it doesn't seem like I can until this gets fixed.

Yeah, same here, this is ridiculous, as my computer actually rates as "Pretty cool" from a performance standpoint, but even typing this message right now is a chore because I'm trying to update hexxit.

If I try doing anything else at all online, the launcher freezes and halts progress.

Pardon this bump, but this really is important. This bug was STILL detected on build 253. Many people cannot play specific modpacks because of this jarring issue, and not only did it force my computer to restart this time, it went into CHKDISK mode and could have damaged the sectors on my harddisk. That's right: The Technic Platform could have killed my computer. There is a serious problem here if a bug like this has went unscathed for months.