Tin

jondonnis

For all the big fat vanes in the Big Dig and my 5 quarry system with automated sorting, recycling, macerating, converting in furnace I can't seem to find much Tin.

Anyone else having problems finding tin? Need it for RE-Batteries as got an automated system creating LV Solar Arrays.

There are already so many ores that are in the mod-pack, and now they are WAY more frequent and come in larger quantities, there is little room, and tin seems to be on the low priority side. Everybody is having problems finding tin.

I've been having the same issue, it really only seems tin that causes a problem. Though on that note, I've seem to noticed that both tin and copper ( not sure about other custom ores ) aren't affected by fortune either ( mined over a stack of copper with fortune 3). Is this normal behaviour aswell, or is it a bug. I had hoped that looting 3 could help with the lack of tin, but it seems to not do much so far :(

Looting only works against mobs.

Fortune works on stuff like diamonds, coal, gravel (flint), and so on. Doesn't work on stuff that needs to be smelted into ingots.

Yeah, meant fortune, sorry, and I didn't know that, that's a bit sad :( Ah well, I went and changed the config in MetallurgyBase.cfg to change tin to the same values as copper, and made a new world, it seems a lot more balanced now.

I gave up being good with the tin and ended up cheating and spawned some in. I got sick of it because I've mind about 2 massive quarries and 5 smaller ones. Now I'm quarrying a whole mounting away (micro managing that is a pain) and still little tin. The other quarries I could leave alone without the combustion engines ever blowing up. The first attempt, they blew up :) but I think I've learnt to make sure the cooling water source is really close to the quarry, that way, the engines are constantly cooled. And the power was from a lava lake found at the bedrock level.

It's why managing the massive mountain quarry is a pain. Having to build really high and using 3 pipes to keep water supplied to the engines. I've ended up having to get cells filled with water and leave them in to keep them cool. I've now decided once it gets to sea level (its right next to the sea), I'll break the quarry down, rebuild it but lower down. It being next to the sea and low down will then mean the cooling should be enough to be able to forget about it and not worry about it going boom.

You're engines might be having trouble if your water source/pumps/pipes that are responsible for cooling the combustion engines are not in the same chunk as the engines themselves, or at least in a chunk that is being forced to load. The quarry forces some chunks loaded, chunks that probably have your engines in them, but if your water source is too far away you can definitely run into trouble. F9 will allow you to see chunks and which ones are forced to always be loaded.

Also, it sounds like you're using lava to power your combustion engines, this is horribly inefficient, not to mention slow; see: http://ftbwiki.org/Combustion_Engine

• 3 weeks later...

I know lava is slow and somewhat inefficient but I've found, in testing, that using lava to power and keeping a constantly guaranteed water flow into the engines (by being by the sea), it means I can leave the engines and forget and they never blow up, because the lava causes it to never get to its full speed.

Does anyone know which part of the MetallurgyBase.cfg to change? And if you can force it to regenerate tin after the world is generated?

The parts that have 'Tin' in them:

I:"Tin Height"=96

I:"Tin Minimum Height"=0

I:"Tin Ore Count"=9

I:"Tin Vein Count"=18

I don't know of any way for you to regenerate ore in already loaded chunks; you'll have to travel to new areas to find tin. Also, I'd recommend Magmatic engines if you're so set on using lava. They provide 4x the power of a similarly powered combustion engine, they don't need water, and they can't blow up from neglect.