Mac Java 7 Technic Platform Error

SuperWeapons

Question

Launcher Version: 1.0.6

Operating System: Mac Os X 10.7.5

Java Version: Java 7

Antivirus Program: None

Description of Problem:

The launcher doesnt work and says i have to use java 6. I cant change my java because I have to have admin access which i cannot do. My technic works occassonaly, i got it to work twice yesterday. Can someone just remove the "you have to have java 6" thing? Cause im pretty sure it works. I dont know why that can't just be removed. If you do have the solution, PLEASE put it in an accessible place that is not on the 7th page of a forum post. No one will see it.

Ive noticed that when it works, the technic platform launcher has a load bar under the "technic platfrom" logo at first pop-up

Obviously the error message is wrong if it works sometimes.

Possibly one of the launchers i was using was old? I dont know, ive tried to fix this many times and it may be a slightly older launcher.

Error Messages:

Technic Launcher and Minecraft have incompatibility issues with Java 7 on OS X. Visit the following link for more information http://spout.in/macjava7

Error Log:

7 answers to this question

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type:

java -version

Odds are good that you already have Java 6 installed. The Technic Launcher is likely erroneously identifying the Java 7 Web Plugin in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins as the only installation of Java on the computer. OS X Lion and Mountain Lion install Java 6 on demand in the Core OS. This latest update to Java 7 for Safari hasn't replaced the Core Java VM, only added another one. The system default for launching JAR bundles is still in the Core OS, not the web plugin.

I should note I have a clean installation of 10.8 with a brand new TechnicLauncher.jar, and for the first 5 or 6 times it did warn me every time I launched it that I needed Java 6. I closed, relaunched the app, and eventually it stopped bugging me and worked fine. If your system isn't working, it's possible some other strangeness is going on with your default Java installation, but the Terminal command I gave you will be a good place to start.

Java 7/mac support is now in the launcher, in the form of an update to lwjgl 2.9. Mojang is waiting until Minecraft 1.6 to update LWJGL but I did it for you all early!

It also comes with some performance improvements on Mac/Linux as well.

You should no longer need to downgrade to java 6 on OSX.

Um, I think that update may be causing some issues with Tekkit:

http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/launched-upside-down-mac-w-lwjgl-fix.43689/

Honestly, there is no "need" to downgrade to Java 6 because most Macs already HAVE java 6. When installed on demand, the core OS build of java is 6. The web plugin for Java 7 has a full VM, but the core installation isn't touched. JAR files still use 6.