New server owner question

Eadword

I am still new to having a server, I had set it up for the first time the weekend of all the updates. Just recently I decided to run The Big Dig without ssh so for the first time I have not been stopping it after every use. I have noticed that more of the process labeled with the command "java -Xmx3G -Xms2G -jar BigDig.jar nogui" I am using htop from ssh on my main computer and finding that more and more of that process starts to be appearing, after about 15 hours of the server running there are 28 instances of this program listing, the odd part is that when I am on the server it seems to be no less efficient but it could be gaining memory every time, I just have not had it on long enough to tell yet.

Every time I have stopped the server they all do close, but it seems odd that they keep growing.

And after writing this there are now 29 instances of it. Is this normal and they are harmless, or is this a bug?

Here is a picture of it https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByaVBAexIYm3NEhWYlMtcXlObXc/edit?usp=sharing

If you have screen installed.. this is probably one of the better ways to do it.. for my server i usually run screen ./launch.sh (or whatever your launch file is called) This will then fire off the Game.. Once everything is loaded you can hit CTRL - A + D and it will break out of the screen and leave the program running in the background.. To get back into the screen you can type screen -r

Not sure why your getting the duplicating monster.. but im sure by the look at that its not healthy.

It now has 26, so maybe it is not as bad as I thought, it does seem to go up and down, did not see that before. And actually I was going to use screen but for now I decided that I wanted to keep it up on the physical computer's display to see how it was running, although I still cannot find out if when I ran the /save-on it actually is saving automatically since it does not seem to be printing it to the tty.

If you have screen installed.. this is probably one of the better ways to do it.. for my server i usually run screen ./launch.sh (or whatever your launch file is called) This will then fire off the Game.. Once everything is loaded you can hit CTRL - A + D and it will break out of the screen and leave the program running in the background.. To get back into the screen you can type screen -r

Not sure why your getting the duplicating monster.. but im sure by the look at that its not healthy.

Correction its -R not -r.