Lag on my Tekkit server? Would appreciate help

Rickyy_xD

So today I opened a Tekkit server for me and my friend to play on. We use hamachi and everything worked fine for me when I logged in. I experienced no lag and the items worked but my friend lagged heavily and had delays. I tried to write something in chat which he then could see after like 1 minute. I've hosted a regular minecraft server without mods for us where he didn't lag. I downloaded the server version today and I also downloaded Hamachi today so I guess it isn't an outdated problem. When we ping eachother from Hamachi it says: "Request timed out" for me but for him it actually ping around 90 ms with some "Request timed out" sometimes. Is there any way we can get rid of the lag?

http://www.downloadmoreram.com/ !!! [/sarcasm]

But really, lag can be caused by multiple things :)

1. Internet connection is really bad for you OR your friend (can be it only is for a little while, during a football match everyone watches) or you are downloading somehting (or your brother on the PSN downloading games)

2. Your PC has less then 6GB Ram ; 2 for tekkit, 2 for server, 2 for Windows

3. Your Tekkit server has not enough RAM dedicated ; open launch.bat with notepad to change that

4. Gods hate you

Last one happens to me a lot.

hamachi could be the issue, as far as getting the request time always when one of you tries to ping the other but works just fine the other way around, that sounds like a firewall or ping block in a router. now just because you are using hamachi doesnt mean you dont need to forward ports with some routers or networks, check the hamachi settings sand make sure neither of you are using fallback connections within hamachi, if all else fails then try doing a direct connect if able and rule out any issue you may have with hamachi

http://www.downloadmoreram.com/ !!! [/sarcasm]

But really, lag can be caused by multiple things :)

1. Internet connection is really bad for you OR your friend (can be it only is for a little while, during a football match everyone watches) or you are downloading somehting (or your brother on the PSN downloading games)

2. Your PC has less then 6GB Ram ; 2 for tekkit, 2 for server, 2 for Windows

3. Your Tekkit server has not enough RAM dedicated ; open launch.bat with notepad to change that

4. Gods hate you

Last one happens to me a lot.

I can see a problem with point 2 becasue my computer has 4 GB RAM. But do you need to put that much RAM into a tekkit server for only 2 people?

Btw love your humour :D

hamachi could be the issue, as far as getting the request time always when one of you tries to ping the other but works just fine the other way around, that sounds like a firewall or ping block in a router. now just because you are using hamachi doesnt mean you dont need to forward ports with some routers or networks, check the hamachi settings sand make sure neither of you are using fallback connections within hamachi, if all else fails then try doing a direct connect if able and rule out any issue you may have with hamachi

I have not ported forward Hamachi. But I also only have 4 GB RAM on my computer. Do you think that I still need to port forward Hamachi or doesn't it matter because I have to low RAM? Isn't Hamachi a way to avoid port forwarding of your internet though? I've port forwarded my router so is it better if I remove Hamachi and relie on my router which is ported forward?

hamachi is a VPN which doesnt generally require port forwarding if you have a router that has vpn passthru, it has been a long while since i used hamachi and instead just switched to other methods of vpn, but if you already have port forwarding setup in your router to the pc with the server being hosted on it is best to just get rid of hamchi as it adds unneeded things that can be the root of the issue. as far as the ram goes if it is just the two of you, you can try lowering the ram for the sever to 1GB and increase it as needed if you get out of memory errors, same for your client. since it is a small server you can start out low and increase. for low player count server you tend to need more cpu power than ram anyways. you may also try closing out any unneeded background applications before starting the server and client.

I have not ported forward Hamachi. But I also only have 4 GB RAM on my computer. Do you think that I still need to port forward Hamachi or doesn't it matter because I have to low RAM? Isn't Hamachi a way to avoid port forwarding of your internet though? I've port forwarded my router so is it better if I remove Hamachi and relie on my router which is ported forward?

Indeed, Hamachi is in your case not a requisite since you port-forwarded your router AND it takes a bit of your ram and broadband to run, so get rid of that thing !

Also, open launch.bat with Notepad and change the settings to "java -Xmx1G -Xms512M [...]" but you will experience lag the moment you build quarries+pumps+... and "server can't keep up" notifications

Maybe, your friend can host the server if he has more memory :)

Last but not least, don't use Skype ! It takes a LOT of memory to check for updates, try to install IE and Bing toolbars and MSN and whatnot other-century bullshit :P There are alternatives such as Oovoo or C3

Thanks for the compiment on my humor btw :D Always glad to help !

Indeed, Hamachi is in your case not a requisite since you port-forwarded your router AND it takes a bit of your ram and broadband to run, so get rid of that thing !

Also, open launch.bat with Notepad and change the settings to "java -Xmx1G -Xms512M [...]" but you will experience lag the moment you build quarries+pumps+... and "server can't keep up" notifications

Maybe, your friend can host the server if he has more memory :)

Last but not least, don't use Skype ! It takes a LOT of memory to check for updates, try to install IE and Bing toolbars and MSN and whatnot other-century bullshit :P There are alternatives such as Oovoo or C3

Thanks for the compiment on my humor btw :D Always glad to help !

Would it be possible for me to host the server on my mac laptop which has 4 GB RAM and instead have the client on my stationary PC? I could then use more of the RAM from my laptop because I don't use the client on it but is there a version of tekkit server for mac? :S

I guess I could also use skype on my mac if I would run the server on my PC to get around that problem. ;)

I'll test to get rid of hamachi and just run it on my router to see if it works out! :)

Obviously, it's a personal taste :D

I want to go into SPAAACE, and the addition of mods as dimensional door excite me (Ever read Gunslinger and the quest for the Dark Tower ?) !

But of course, If you miss IndustrialCraft and ThaumCraft too much, you can opt for the tekkit lite, jst remember to grab the right server files :P

Yeah I haven't really played around with this mod to much yet but I honestly don't see what there is to it :(

I've seen videos on youtube like the yogscast where they can go to Mars but I only seem to be able to go to the moon and still, what can you do there besides exploring the surface? Are their mines, creatures? Will the galactic mod be updated because what I've experienced it seems to lack so much. Please feel free to correct me if the galactic mod actually has a lot of stuff and exciting exploring.

So I'd actually like some pros/cons for each mod and what there is to it (if that's not to much to ask for) ;) I've got some experience from the "old" tekkit with nuclear and jetpacks so I'd like to be filled in with the exciting stuff in this new tekkit version :D

• 1 month later...