If anyone knows how...

Lucipher109

Hey im running tekkit and the other modpacks off a compaq laptop with plenty of memory set up, and my launcher will only let it stay maxed at 1G to allocate for the memory. I was wonder how to boost that to anywhere between 10-20G. I had it set to a max of 20G on an hp i used to have but it was a desktop. So if anyone can shed some light on this for me it would be much appreciated.

Why would minecraft ever use 20 gigs. 4096x Texture Pack?

Open up My Computer, Right click a blank spot and hit properties, then scroll down and look for either 64 Bit or 32.

If its 64 you'll need to download Java for 64, if its 32 theres nothing you can do. Unless of course your CPU supports 64 but but your os is 32.

Where did you find a laptop with 20gb of RAM? a Compaq none the less.

well he did say it was desktop but still

yeah i cant even think of any mother board that has enough slots for that much ram let alone a reason to allocate that much to minecraft and even if that was possible the sweet spot seems to be 2g any more or less seems to get laggy with no known reason

sooooooooo im thinking maybe it was a typo and he meant 2g

yeah i cant even think of any mother board that has enough slots for that much ram let alone a reason to allocate that much to minecraft and even if that was possible the sweet spot seems to be 2g any more or less seems to get laggy with no known reason

2 Gb? Pffff mine runs at 6.

well woopty doo for you lol for most others 2gigs seems to be where everything likes to be glad to hear someone can use more though im willing to bet it runs about the same as 2 gigs lol

No actually I need to run it at 6. Anything lower and I get out of memory. My world is so cluttered and filled with chunk loaders.

4 ram slots is pretty common, you can get 4gb sticks which would get you 16gb pretty easy, and if you really wanna pony up the dough you can go bigger, but his compaq laptop is probably running 32bit win- so he can only allocate 1gb, and he probably dosen't have 20g on the desktop but over allocated and never ran over his cap. I can almost guarantee, the "HP" desktop was not running 24+ gigs of ram.

Ok i been outta that world for too long now when did 4 gig ram sticks come out I figured on the possibility of 4 slots which would be needed for the new quad core CPUs but was calc on 2gig ram sticks

Either way an older hp desktop I'm sure would most likley only have 2 slots but is possible for 4 I guess depending on age and now I wonder do they still make after market bus extenders not sure if that the right term however I had them on a old 166 pentium 1 long time ago

Desktops with a 64-bit OS now days can easily have 64gb of RAM. The comment I made was in regards to his Compaq Laptop having 20ish GB of RAM.

I doubt there are any desktops out there pre-shipped with 64 Gb. It's the Maximum that the Mobo supports. The actual OS can handle a lot more if im not mistaken.

Well agreed, 32gb is most I've seen shipped from a vendor. I did a quick search on Newegg.com and found they now have MoBo's that will go to 128GB of RAM! Talk about running some VM's on that computer.

I would dedicate 24 GB to the computer and create an Ultra fast ram disk with the rest.