Problems Launching...

phillid

I've got the launcher working, Tekkit's all downloaded, but when it tries to start the Minecraft window, I get FML doing its thing, then it disappears and leaves me with a blank, white Minecraft/Tekkit window - the one that should be saying "Mojang" or whatever.

I'm running Linux (that shouldn't be introducing the problem though). What I think might be the problem is that when I run Vanilla Minecraft, I have to run its launcher using

java -Xmx800m -jar launcher.jar

Otherwise it gives similar symptoms to what's happening to Tekkit.

I suppose Tekkit or FML isn't running minecraft in the above way or something, causing it to not work? Any suggestions/help/anything?

Oh, sorry. I read "Check" as 'review'. I'm not from the US, and we say `ticked` instead of checked where I am :)

Still no luck... Increase PermGen Size is ticked/checked, and I can only set the RAM size to 512MB...

Allocating 2GB will be running into swap so might actually reduce performance, but I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Nope, still just shows white screen and processor sits idle; clearly not allocating memory and loading things like Minecraft does when it launches successfully....

looks to me like your running on a 32bit sys if not then your running with a 32bit java in which case update your java to 64bit but only do that if your computer is a 64bit sys

once you have done that (if you can do that) then click the gear box and up the ram to 2 gigs

if all that fails delete the techinc launcher folder and everything in it making sure to empty your recycle bin ( not really necessary but i always do that) and redownload/install

hold on, I think the issue has be indentified, you are trying to run it on less than 2 gigs of ram? you cannot use swap for jvm i don't think, you do not have the memory to run tekkit if you have less than 2 gigs because you are then trying to assign system memory to it as well, which will cause the hang on any system. Viv, I keep seeing you trying to help with like the same 3 lines, really if you don't know what specifically your advice does, don't suggest it.

hold on, I think the issue has be indentified, you are trying to run it on less than 2 gigs of ram? you cannot use swap for jvm i don't think, you do not have the memory to run tekkit if you have less than 2 gigs because you are then trying to assign system memory to it as well, which will cause the hang on any system. Viv, I keep seeing you trying to help with like the same 3 lines, really if you don't know what specifically your advice does, don't suggest it.

There's no way I can provide a specific fix with this limited information.

java -Xmx800m -jar launcher.jar in order to run vanilla

should be all you need to know, he is forcing vanilla minecraft to run with less than basic memory in order to get it to run,

therefore since tekkit has a larger memory footprint thats why it hangs and cannot load, if he cannot run tekkit with 800megs which i don't think he can than hes not gonna be able to do it.

The jwgvl fix was mainly for flipped screens on mac as a fix, suggesting it without any indication that that was the issue is not helpful, which is my point if you have nothing of value to add, don't suggest things that you "should" know do not work.

should be all you need to know, he is forcing vanilla minecraft to run with less than basic memory in order to get it to run,

therefore since tekkit has a larger memory footprint thats why it hangs and cannot load, if he cannot run tekkit with 800megs which i don't think he can than hes not gonna be able to do it.

The jwgvl fix was mainly for flipped screens on mac as a fix, suggesting it without any indication that that was the issue is not helpful, which is my point if you have nothing of value to add, don't suggest things that you "should" know do not work.

I help people based on what I did to fix things. Last time I experienced a white screen, updating LWJGL fixed it. Maybe it's not the fix for his specific issue but it's what fixed mine. The information I'm given is not sufficient enough for me to determine the exact cause of his issue so I try my best to help him out based in my prior knowledge. You can't simply tell me to stop posting.

my my toki you have scaled down lol

and yeah good catch on the 800 mg i missed that entirely he definitely cant run tekkit which also explains why he can only allocate 512 lol

stupid me thinking it was a 32bit vrs 64bit problem

viv honestly he's got a point this was clearly a ram problem right off the bat

and no ones saying stop posting but it only makes things worse to post with out being sure your at least close to being right

in other words if your not sure about your answer maybe hold of posting unless of course its obvious no one with more knowledge is trying to help some help is better then no help

now op i have to ask less then 2 gigs how old is this computer im surprised it ran minecraft at all

want tekkit you need to add more ram or just buy a newer computer for tekkit you should be looking around the 4 gig mark on a 64 bit system

minimum would be 2 on a 32 bit system but it wont run nice with that

Eh i run a linux box on 512 meg, all the major distros are now no longer supporting it, mine is holy shit its seven years old. yeah ill get a new laptop when i get out of basic in january.

I think at this time 512 meg of ram is a dead hardware frame anymore, too hard to support with modern software.

its not that bad i remember when we were still dreaming of having and using that much ram and gigs were only talked about for hard drives and hard drives were like at max 10 gigs to be honest i remember before that but im sure im one of the few around here that remembers ram being in kilobytes and a 512m hard drive considered big (yes im talking pre 286 era )