I really hope I'm not the only one pissed off by this...

RegretZM

So, while I love Technic Launcher with pretty much all my heart, and probably wouldn't still be playing Minecraft without it, the sudden influx of new modpacks is pissing me off.

Before you get all angry and rage at me:

No, it isn't the actual modpacks themselves usually; many of the packs I've seen or tried have been decent at the least.

No, I don't have a problem with having so many modpacks. In fact, I think it's great that there's more variety now. I also love how easy it is to add new modpacks.

However, I can't stand these server modpacks.

I know I can't be the only one who sees a modpack with thousands of votes, gets all excited, and then sees that it's made for some specific server. It's even worse if you decide to give it a try, and the server is either full all the time or not well-staffed.

I feel like if you design a pack SPECIFICALLY for a server, not having ssp in mind, there should be a separate section for it.

In fact, it'd be really nice if packs could have 3 categories: SSP Only, SSP and SMP, and server-specific, since server-specific packs usually aren't designed as much with SSP in mind.

Also, I'm sure everyone and their grandmother knows there are a hell of a lot of really crappy packs out there. I feel like sifting through and trying to figure out which work and which don't is a real pain. That, and figuring out what version it's for, what it's focus is, etc. is difficult because a lot of people don't really bother writing out decent descriptions. It's basically like half the peoples' mindsets are "LOOK I CRAMMED FILES INTO A .ZIP AND PUT IT ON THE INTERNET! YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE GETTING BUT DOWNLOAD MY PACK ANYWAYS!".

I don't mean to come off as being a cynical jerk (though I won't deny it if people say I am one), but I feel like it would be nice if there was a bit of a screening process, and also a better search function on the technic site. For example, if we could add tags to our packs, so people could search for specific themes or features. Also if we could specify the MC version and such.

One last quick thought, it might be a good idea to add a progress bar option like planet minecraft has, because there are a lot of WIP packs out there that don't tell you that they aren't finished.

Anyways, TL;DR: Go back and read it you illiterate nimrod.

I'm done ranting. Love you and everything you do Technic staff, but I figured I ought to share my 2 cents.

Actually that was more like $8.43.

I find your argument quite valid, but what I dislike even more is the huge amount of people making their packs all willy-nilly and it's turning 500 pages of modpacks into thousands. There's not really a reason why anyone else should have a problem with this sort of thing because it doesn't impact how they're listed at all, but I really don't like blindly selecting a page to go on and finding tons of +0 packs with no description. In my opinion, a pack should be locked as private until it gets at least +5. If no one would want to play it as a private pack, why would anyone want to see it listed as a public pack? I think my ranting is much worse and much more pointless than yours, so I'll up my input into 2 bitcoins.

I'm in no way familiar with the difference between private/public modpacks, but that sounds pretty impossible.

Indeed, Private packs can only be found by direct link, and you can't advertise on the forums

So, it's Friend 2 Win

Wait, isn't that the facebook way?

I find your argument quite valid, but what I dislike even more is the huge amount of people making their packs all willy-nilly and it's turning 500 pages of modpacks into thousands. There's not really a reason why anyone else should have a problem with this sort of thing because it doesn't impact how they're listed at all, but I really don't like blindly selecting a page to go on and finding tons of +0 packs with no description. In my opinion, a pack should be locked as private until it gets at least +5. If no one would want to play it as a private pack, why would anyone want to see it listed as a public pack? I think my ranting is much worse and much more pointless than yours, so I'll up my input into 2 bitcoins.

While I see where you're going with this, it wouldn't make much sense, because, like Maxis said, nobody else is able to see private modpacks.

Honestly, I don't expect anyone to magically pull a solution out of nowhere, stuff like this takes time to solve, and maybe multiple attempts. I brought it up simply because I felt it wasn't being addressed.

It would honestly be a bit difficult to filter through tons and tons of packs, but there has to be some way to make things at least a little easier. Like being able to search by both rating and last updated. That way, once you get past the few top packs, the well-maintained but less-seen modpacks will be there for you to see. Things like that I guess.

I don't know, any other ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i kind of agree with this, but not all of the custom modpacks are really crappy. The one I am developing and waiting for Technic to update for 1.6 support so I can put it on the platform might be crappy because I have had to take out mod after mod because of crashes.