some modpack questions

skeddles

trying to make a modpack (for multiplayer use) but not sure I understand

So I need to make both the client modpack and the server modpack, right? (but technic only gives people a link to the client)

Do all mods need to be installed on the client and the server? I've done bukkit servers before, with lots of mods, but they never required me to mod the client. Seems like most mods don't need to edit the client.

When picking mods, I have to have to have all the mods made for the same version of minecraft right?

thanks

No, bukkit servers have plugins, not mods.

Mods add new assets to the game: blocks, items, GUIs, monsters, sounds, and particles.

Plugins alter the way the server behaves: Teleporting players, altering/preventing monster spawns, editing the world, protecting areas from groups of players.

Mods can do anything a plugin can.

Plugins cannot do everything a mod can.

Mods require the client to have the mod as well.

Some mods are client side only, and cannot run on the server.

Plugins are specific to bukkit servers and cannot run on the client.

The gist of what Neowulf is saying is that plugins and mods work differently. The server modpack should use all the same mods as the client nowadays (you could literally just copy and paste the mods and configs folder) with the exception of client only mods. Client only mods are mods such as Rei's MiniMap, or Damage Indicators. So just delete those if you have any of them from the server mods folder and you'll be ready to go.