Addons etc.

cactusplant

Hi guys.

I wanted to clear out a large space and build back my base after my map file corrupted, I lost a good few days of work and it lead me to wonder...

How come tekkit doesn't include some mods like world edit/spc/flans mod?

I'm not too clued up with mods etc, but I did assume that its because they were bukkit?

Why cant mods work seamlessly with each other?

Tell me more as Im itching to learn.

Much love,

Cactus.

(Apologies if this is a pointless thread etc, but I actually want to know and learn a bit!)

You should avoid signing your posts as it's against the rules for future reference.

World Edit is a plugin for Bukkit/MCPC and not a mod so that's why it's not in there. As for the other two I've never heard of them so I can't help you.

Mod compatibility depends on a whole ton of factors that you're probably better off reading about in the modding forums here or on the MC forums. As I've never dabbled in coding MC stuff I couldn't say beyond that so hopefully one of the resident code monkeys can explain it or point to a good reference.

You should avoid signing your posts as it's against the rules for future reference.

World Edit is a plugin for Bukkit/MCPC and not a mod so that's why it's not in there. As for the other two I've never heard of them so I can't help you.

Mod compatibility depends on a whole ton of factors that you're probably better off reading about in the modding forums here or on the MC forums. As I've never dabbled in coding MC stuff I couldn't say beyond that so hopefully one of the resident code monkeys can explain it or point to a good reference.

Completely unaware of that. Thanks for letting me know! (Flans is the plane/car mod used it when it first came out and fell in love with it. Would be brilliant if it was implemented into tekkit.

Ah right. I see

Because WorldEdit and SPC have just become forge-compatible for MC 1.6.2.

Oh, good! Although im still using 1.5.2 and tekkit 1.8.1, so is it all down to tekkit being updated to work with 1.6.2?

gosh, I feel so nooby. :(

Oh, good! Although im still using 1.5.2 and tekkit 1.8.1, so is it all down to tekkit being updated to work with 1.6.2?

gosh, I feel so nooby. :(

I don't know, if that is the main reason, but sk89q's main focus has always been Bukkit and SPC / WorldEdit kinda missed the Forge-train. While I think compatibility is an important concern of the Tekkit staff, I would hesitate with definitive forecasts.

Personally, I think Tekkit should not and probably cannot properly integrate WorldEdit due to the way blocks and items are saved in their IDs, although my level of knowledge about WE is from MC Beta 1.5. If you want to have WorldEdit as badly as I want, stay patient until Tekkit releases for MC 1.6.2. Then install it seperately and only stick to safe, vanilla block IDs like a sane person would.

Hi guys.

I wanted to clear out a large space and build back my base after my map file corrupted

Ouch on that my friend. While it's not as fast as World Edit and friends, to clear large spaces you might want to look at the filler (As bass-ackwards as that sounds). You can set the filler to clear out large areas and is much cheaper to make and operate than a quarry. Some might say the effort needed to do it isn't worth the results but if you're trying to flatten a 7 x 7 chunk square like hell do I want to do that by hand! :D

And now for my two cents. Tekkit has machinated ways to do many of the things that you might do with World Edit. You could program turtles to build structures if you where so industrious. That's part of the fun of playing Tekkit is to find the ways of doing things in a highly convoluted machinated way that's not just *point* be gone! *poof*

Hidden

Hi guys.

I wanted to clear out a large space and build back my base after my map file corrupted

Ouch on that my friend. While it's not as fast as World Edit and friends, to clear large spaces you might want to look at the filler (As bass-ackwards as that sounds). You can set the filler to clear out large areas and is much cheaper to make and operate than a quarry. Some might say the effort needed to do it isn't worth the results but if you're trying to flatten a 7 x 7 chunk square like hell do I want to do that by hand! :D

And now for my two cents. Tekkit has machinated ways to do many of the things that you might do with World Edit. You could program turtles to build structures if you where so industrious. That's part of the fun of playing Tekkit is to find the ways of doing things in a highly convoluted machinated way that's not just *point* be gone! *poof*

Hidden

Hi guys.