[Q] ChunkLoadingBlocks and TeleportBlocks no more?

Stealth

Would it perhaps be possible to say, add a chunkloader function to pipes that only get activated when an entity enters the pipe? (just like detector rails only sent a signal when a minecart passes over it). That way the chunks will only get loaded when they're actually used.

Or would this offer similar issue's like you have with tracking items?

Edit: As an addon that modifies the buildcraft pipes so you won't have to modify buildcraft itself

Would it perhaps be possible to say, add a chunkloader function to pipes that only get activated when an entity enters the pipe? (just like detector rails only sent a signal when a minecart passes over it). That way the chunks will only get loaded when they're actually used.

Or would this offer similar issue's like you have with tracking items?

Edit: As an addon that modifies/adds the buildcraft pipes so you won't have to modify buildcraft itself

It might work, if I know what event I need to monitor at server side, and if you're allowed to capture events from an unloaded chunk. I haven't checked all the available events, but there should be one.

Won't the chunks already be loaded due a 'moving' (caused by the item) chunkloader heading their way?

I haven't fully read the source, so I'm not certain. My statement is based on observations in-game. What I am certain though is that chunks get unloaded automatically when nobody is in the vicinity of that chunk (depends on the view-distance property in server.properties). Hence, the only time it gets loaded is if somebody is near that chunk.

If somebody has studied the source and is willing to comment, please do.

If gold is your problem, try dipping into the nether. With nether ores, it's practically littering the nether if you can survive long enough to haul your finds back with you. Just be careful, I've found blocks down there randomly exploding ... and gasts don't make things much easier either.

do you know why or how the blocks explode? I was freaking out when I was mining some nether iron. Do you know which mod that is? Is there a way to detect those blocks?

nether blocks exploding, huh?

The exploding blocks are due to the Nether Ores mod. When that mod is installed, you can find coal, redstone, iron, and diamonds in the nether. If you have mods which use it, you can also find tin and copper. The benefits are that the ores are relatively plentiful in the Nether. The downsides are that they require extra processing (smelt it to get the normal drop; e.g. to turn nether iron into iron ore, which you can then macerate or cook directly), mining them counts as a hostile act to the locals, and the aforementioned tendency to explode.

The blocks are supposed to make the same hissing sound that armed TNT and creepers do. In SMP, they do not. This is a known issue.

The blocks are supposed to make the same hissing sound that armed TNT and creepers do. In SMP, they do not. This is a known issue.

Well that explains the seemingly random element to it, but I've found that they do minimal damage to the player (the nether takes a bite out of it but is that really a bother?).

Additionally, there's no need to smelt the ores, the tekkit pack comes with custom recipes to convert the nether ores directly into something useful. I.E. a shapeless craft of 1 nether iron converts to iron ore directly, but since it's a custom recipe, you can't do this a stack at a time with meta-keys, just one at a time with a twitchy click finger.

• 4 weeks later...