Hexxit Using 100% of my 8 GB of Memory! WOW!!

MrLocke

So I started playing Hexxit about two weeks ago and it is an amazing little mod package. However, I've noticed that the game slowly eats away at my available memory until I am at 100% usage. When I open the launch window, I jump to about 40% usage from around 15% and over the course of an hour, the usage crawls up to 100%. At this point, the game becomes a complete lag-fest. To remedy the problem, I exit out of Hexxit (which always crashes out instead of closing like a normal program) and relaunch it which begins the process again. Any advice on how I might fix this problem?

Fun facts about my situation:

- CPU usage never goes above 50% while playing Hexxit. CPU is a AMD FX 8320, 8 cores

- Video card is a Radeon HD 7870, 2 GB

- Currently memory allotment in Hexxit is set to 1.5 GB.

HELP DAMMIT!

I am almost as clueless about this issue as you are. I've noticed playing alone on my SMP server that when ever I was near my base the amount of memory used by MC would slowly and steadily increase until it reached a threshold and started doing the exact same thing, lag fest and a crash instead of a close. When I wasn't anywhere near my base it seemed to behave although that might be because I didn't wait long enough. Changing the memory allotment did nothing to prevent the eventual hogging of all my memory. I'm not an expert but I think it's more to do with Java than MC or Hexxit... any other reports of this?

What I think is happening, is that betterdungeons went bonkers on you. Try turning down your ram to 2gb (that's the max you should do anyway with java) as I think betterdundeons is calculating a lot in advance. In combination with java's screwy garbage collection, it could go out of hand rather quickly.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try making a backup of your world and resetting the pack, that does some magical stuff too :P

Edit: I am bad at reading... I thought you had 8gb allotted >.< hmmm... Try 2gb?

Edit2: are you running the latest version of java?

I believe I will go ahead and reset the mod packs. To create a proper backup for my Hexxit world, do I only need to save the world file? Are there any other files I need to preserve? Note: I play Hexxit with a friend via the Hexxit Server Console.

Also, I am running "Java 7 Update 40 (64-bit)".

Resetting the mod packs did not work. Memory usage was again at 100% after about an hour. Also, when I close Hexxit before I reach memory capacity, it shuts down without a problem. But when I close at capacity, it always crashes out. I do not believe a corrupted mod pack would cause this... No... it is a much deeper problem than that.