Any tips to reduce server lag?

meathaven

On my server what seemed to be causing a lot of lag is things like bad mystcraft ages, improper use of logistics pipes and lots of blocks that are tagged as private (furnaces, chests, quartz blocks) I have a bukkit/tekkit server I run, the private blocks comes from essentials, also you could try something like nolagg examine it might tell you where the issue is coming from

Yeah, I run a server for a few friends, about 6 regulars. Two of us were building grand space stations and due to having rooms which were too large to seal we both opted for multiple oxygen bubbles. Between us I think there were probably about 40. Soon after the lag on the server started to get worse and worse, it builds up over time, to the point were I was restarting the server 3 times a day. TPS was down to 5. I suspected the bubbles but couldn't prove it so I installed a java profiler on the system to properly investigate. Every class which was eating too much CPU time was a micdoodle8 one, the bubbles the most. They seem to trigger tile updates too often or something like that. We destroyed all the bubble distributers on the server and things went back to normal. Still got some "[Minecraft-Server] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?" in the log, so I checked again. It was micdoodle8 classes hogging the CPU again but thing time it was the oxygen pipe network refreshes causing the issues. So finally after disconnecting the majority of pipes from the collectors (still need to fill oxygen tanks) the server calmed down and it's like we're playing on a new world again.

which java profiler did you use? till now I have only been using nolagg examine but that only watches bukkit plugins. our server is exactly like yours there are just fewer of us. and yea we have these grand space stations, we are having a bit of a tps issue at the moment that is hard to track down, it only happens when this one guy logs in and we have narrowed it down to somewhere in his storage room, we are really big into logistic pipes. other then minor layout his system is close to mine but I have none of the issues he does. would be interesting to find out which plug in is causing it