NEI Lag issues

0siris

So I got this problem with NEI, where if I open my inventory, do crafting, or open any other UI, the game freezes for 2-3 seconds. I disabled NEI and the problem stopped, but using a modpack it is pretty handy to have NEI around for recipies...

My PC specs aren't very good, but I can run the game with playable frame rates.

It isn't a huge problem - I'm grateful that my old PC can finally run this pack - but if anyone has any idea what the problem may be, or better yet, how(if) its fixable, I'de appreciate any support.

Thanks, guys.

Edited by 0siris

You can try limiting what NEI does by typing some garbage into the search bar in your inventory - that should pause for a second when you first do it but after that it'll just do a quick check that there's no match and leave it there (which if it's CPU lag from the search and accessing that list should be bypassed).  That's my best guess from what you've put, the NEI search is quite CPU intensive, so if you've got an old laptop it could easily cap out there if it's running minecraft too (especially singleplayer).

Thanks for the reply. I have tried tried typing random things in the search bar so that nothing comes up, but it still freezes for me. I'm not on a laptop, but I am using an outdated computer. My specs are pretty bad, and up until recently I actually couldn't even play this modpack (Out of virtual memory). At least I was able to get the pack running - this was just a small flaw in the whole scheme of things, and I was hoping there was a workaround. But I guess I'm just out of luck there, so I'll just disable and re-enable when needed. Thanks again.

Out of virtual memory implies it's actually using a fair bit of pagefile - that seems like a likely cause, even a fast SSD has a transfer rate of ~500MB/s when average modern RAM has somewhere in the vicinity of 13,000MB/s, if it's trying to do that job in virtual memory it'll take a few seconds for sure.  How much RAM does it have?

4GB RAM total, running on 32 bit Windows Vista. I'm running the pack using MagicLauncher, so I can allocate 1.2GB instead of just 1.

AMD Athlon 62 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+   2.40GHz

4 GB RAM

GeForce 7300 LE