Help setting up a Server!

Sleidner

Hello everyone, i'm Sleidner and i'm new to the forums :P
I started a Tekkit server yesterday/today (depends where u live) and i'm finding it hard to add plugins to the server :/
Its a paid server, so i'm not the host...
If u guys could help me i'd be grateful!

Regards,
Sleidner

If you're using MCPC+ setting up plugins from Bukkit.org is relatively simple, as long as the plugin you want to use is compatible with MC 1.6.4 you're largely good to go.

So basically get MCPC+ for MC 1.6.4, upload to the server root directory via FTP, rename the Tekkit Jar file to Tekkit.jar.bak and name the MCPC+ Jar to Tekkit.jar or Custom.jar depending on what your set up requires.

Then after that any Bukkit or Forge based plugin can be dropped into your Plugin directory and used relatively easily depending on the plugin.

Well there are thousands of plugins it largely depends on what you're trying to achieve.

I run a very small server for the purposes of videography so I just use EasySpawn....which allows me to quickly change the world spawn to where I want it after finding the area of a map I want to be working in. I also use CreeperControl because that allows Creepers to stay dangerous but stops them from constantly blowing holes in the world...which gets old after awhile....though could possibly be considered a bit cheaty depending on how you look at it. I also use BoiledFlesh to turn Rotten Flesh into something you can eat cause the Flesh to leather plugins are out of date and I hate getting tons of items that I rarely have any use for and zombies constantly drop rotten flesh.

Other than that I don't use many plugins at all. Depending on the scale of the server you intend to run, the plugin requirements and needs change.

If you're going to run a larger server with automatic whitelisting or something, you're definitely going to need WorldGuard/WorldEdit, and probably the entire Essentials package. Factions or Towny can be nice too depending on what kind of server you want to run. Civilians 2 is also a nice plugin to add if you want your MC world to seem more inhabited by people other than just players.

Overall its down to what you're trying to achieve with your server, which largely defines what kind of plugins you'd want to add.

If you've done a straight tekkit install then it should be called Tekkit.jar, if you've run a custom mod install you will either get a custom.jar or current.jar as your jar file that is launched by the server.

PermissionsEx and Grief Prevention should work together fine.

I run a server with MCPC+, In addition to tekkit, I run Essentials and EssentialsGroupManager for plugins, along with DynmapCBBridge. which is a bukkit plugin that provides a bridge between bukkit plugins, and dynmap forge (which is a mod, not a plugin). I run McMyAdmin, so I chose most of my plugins based on compatibility with MCMA, to make it easier for my other admins. We are currently looking at things like claims, blocklogging,etc.

As for zombie flesh to leather, there is a mod in tekkit by default that does that, it lets  you put sugar and zombie flesh in an induction furnace and get leather ;)