Step by step server guide for tekkit?

Davidov

I'm curious why there isn't a step-by-step server setup guide for Tekkit. Is it to appease server hosts who stand to benefit from the lack of decent guides, forcing people to rent?

I've been racking my brain for the past few hours trying to get my server working on my Ubuntu box. Do I need MCPC+? Which order do I install everything? What else do I need to install to get everything running? Why in gods name is there no documentation for anything involving setting up a Minecraft server? 

I've fussed with it to the point where I'm getting this error. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't stress this enough, but the lack of an actual tutorial on server hosting is inexcusable in this the year of the horse 2014.

[10:04:53] [main/INFO] [LaunchWrapper]: Loading tweak class name cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLServerTweaker
[10:04:53] [main/INFO] [LaunchWrapper]: Using primary tweak class name cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLServerTweaker
[10:04:53] [main/INFO] [LaunchWrapper]: Calling tweak class cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLServerTweaker
[10:04:53] [main/INFO] [FML]: Forge Mod Loader version 7.2.116.36 for Minecraft 1.7.2 loading
[10:04:53] [main/INFO] [FML]: Java is OpenJDK Client VM, version 1.6.0_31, running on Linux:i386:3.2.0-24-virtual, installed at /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-i386/jre
[10:04:53] [main/WARN] [FML]: The coremod appeng.transformer.AppEngCore does not have a MCVersion annotation, it may cause issues with this version of Minecraft
[10:04:53] [main/INFO] [FML]: [AppEng] Core Init
java.lang.AbstractMethodError
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.CoreModManager.loadCoreMod(CoreModManager.java:425)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.CoreModManager.discoverCoreMods(CoreModManager.java:312)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.CoreModManager.handleLaunch(CoreModManager.java:214)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.FMLLaunchHandler.setupHome(FMLLaunchHandler.java:90)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.FMLLaunchHandler.setupServer(FMLLaunchHandler.java:74)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.FMLLaunchHandler.configureForServerLaunch(FMLLaunchHandler.java:39)
        at cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLServerTweaker.injectIntoClassLoader(FMLServerTweaker.java:21)
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:114)
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:622)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.run(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:43)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.main(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:12)
[10:04:53] [main/ERROR] [FML]: An error occurred trying to configure the minecraft home at /home/user/minecraft/. for Forge Mod Loader
java.lang.AbstractMethodError
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.CoreModManager.loadCoreMod(CoreModManager.java:425) ~[mcpc.jar:git-MCPC-Plus-1.7.2-R0.4-forge1065-57]
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.CoreModManager.discoverCoreMods(CoreModManager.java:312) ~[mcpc.jar:git-MCPC-Plus-1.7.2-R0.4-forge1065-57]
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.CoreModManager.handleLaunch(CoreModManager.java:214) ~[mcpc.jar:git-MCPC-Plus-1.7.2-R0.4-forge1065-57]
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.FMLLaunchHandler.setupHome(FMLLaunchHandler.java:90) [mcpc.jar:git-MCPC-Plus-1.7.2-R0.4-forge1065-57]
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.FMLLaunchHandler.setupServer(FMLLaunchHandler.java:74) [mcpc.jar:git-MCPC-Plus-1.7.2-R0.4-forge1065-57]
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.FMLLaunchHandler.configureForServerLaunch(FMLLaunchHandler.java:39) [mcpc.jar:git-MCPC-Plus-1.7.2-R0.4-forge1065-57]
        at cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLServerTweaker.injectIntoClassLoader(FMLServerTweaker.java:21) [mcpc.jar:git-MCPC-Plus-1.7.2-R0.4-forge1065-57]
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:114) [launchwrapper-1.9.jar:?]
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.9.jar:?]
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.6.0_31]
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57) ~[?:1.6.0_31]
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.6.0_31]
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:622) ~[?:1.6.0_31]
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.run(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:43) [mcpc.jar:git-MCPC-Plus-1.7.2-R0.4-forge1065-57]
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.main(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:12) [mcpc.jar:git-MCPC-Plus-1.7.2-R0.4-forge1065-57]
A problem occurred running the Server launcher.java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:622)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.run(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:43)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.main(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:12)
Caused by: java.lang.AbstractMethodError
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.CoreModManager.loadCoreMod(CoreModManager.java:425)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.CoreModManager.discoverCoreMods(CoreModManager.java:312)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.CoreModManager.handleLaunch(CoreModManager.java:214)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.FMLLaunchHandler.setupHome(FMLLaunchHandler.java:90)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.FMLLaunchHandler.setupServer(FMLLaunchHandler.java:74)
        at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.FMLLaunchHandler.configureForServerLaunch(FMLLaunchHandler.java:39)
        at cpw.mods.fml.common.launcher.FMLServerTweaker.injectIntoClassLoader(FMLServerTweaker.java:21)
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:114)
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
        ... 6 more

On this current attempt, I installed MCPC first via the installer, then extracted the tekkit server files on top of that, and am attempting to run mcpc using "sudo java -Xmx600M -Xms600M -jar mcpc.jar nogui"

Edited by Davidov

• Discord Moderator

Why would you be running your server as root? Unless you are choosing a port below <=1024 you can (and should) run as a normal user.

Other than that it is just as Disconsented mentioned. Extract the TekkitServer zip into a folder, drop in the MCPC+ jar (Build 254 as of this post) and change your launcher script to point at the MCPC+ jar instead of the Tekkit.jar. That's it.

Thanks for the help guys! I was running as root because of permission issues with a different application (Solution was to spin it off into its own enviroment). I completely leveled it and started anew and did the things above and now I'm up and going, but the client is running into ID mismatch problems when joining. 102, 335, and 79 (I'll update this post with a log when I can find it)

For clarification, all I've done so far was drop mcpc.jar into the same folder with a still zipped up tekkit server zip. Extracting the .zip created a TON of errors when attempting to launch the server.

Edited by Davidov

• Discord Moderator

If the MCPC+ jar is launched in an empty folder (and having the Tekkit server zip in there qualifies as being empty since it does nothing if still zipped) the server will start and simply be Forge with no mods installed.