Server Wont Run Anymore, Help

joshlete

Question

Yesterday I was playing on the 1.0.0 Tekkit on my server. I got tired and decided to end the game, so I shut down the server. Next day I go on, I get a list of "severe" warnings (see errors below) and I cannot join the server anymore. I tried moving the server map to single player and it worked flawlessly, so I was thinking it has to be the server. Then I tried start the server up with a new map and that works flawlessly. So now I am in a pickle of a situation. Anyone have a solution to my problem?

Sidequestion, for Tekkit 2.0, could I move my map from 1.0.0 to play on Tekkit 2.0? I really don't want to lose my save. I would rather not play the game than to start all over. Thanks.

[sEVERE] java.lang.NullPointerException

2012-02-13 12:33:25 [sEVERE] 	at buildcraft.api.EntityPassiveItem.toEntityItem(EntityPassiveItem.java:91)

2012-02-13 12:33:25 [sEVERE] 	at buildcraft.transport.PipeTransportItems.moveSolids(PipeTransportItems.java:197)

2012-02-13 12:33:25 [sEVERE] 	at buildcraft.transport.PipeTransportItems.updateEntity(PipeTransportItems.java:132)

2012-02-13 12:33:25 [sEVERE] 	at buildcraft.transport.Pipe.updateEntity(Pipe.java:98)

2012-02-13 12:33:25 [sEVERE] 	at buildcraft.transport.TileGenericPipe.l_(TileGenericPipe.java:99)

2012-02-13 12:33:25 [sEVERE] 	at net.minecraft.server.World.tickEntities(World.java:1171)

2012-02-13 12:33:25 [sEVERE] 	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.w(MinecraftServer.java:524)

2012-02-13 12:33:25 [sEVERE] 	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:431)

2012-02-13 12:33:25 [sEVERE] 	at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:457)

2012-02-13 12:33:25 [sEVERE] Unexpected exception

java.lang.NullPointerException

at buildcraft.api.EntityPassiveItem.toEntityItem(EntityPassiveItem.java:91)

at buildcraft.transport.PipeTransportItems.moveSolids(PipeTransportItems.java:197)

at buildcraft.transport.PipeTransportItems.updateEntity(PipeTransportItems.java:132)

at buildcraft.transport.Pipe.updateEntity(Pipe.java:98)

at buildcraft.transport.TileGenericPipe.l_(TileGenericPipe.java:99)

at net.minecraft.server.World.tickEntities(World.java:1171)

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.w(MinecraftServer.java:524)

at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:431)

at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:457)

10 answers to this question

for the crash:

http://www.technicpack.net/tekkit-buildcraft-crashes/

and 1.1.4 will convert to the next tekkit release, 2.0 got pulled because of mismatching id's, but the next stable release should be compatible with 1.1.4 worlds.

How exactly do I use that fix. Do I just extract it to the server files? I did that and I still get the same error.

And thanks for the info on the map. That clears my thoughts.

EDIT: Figured out how to use it, works now except I get this one error that repeats every so often at the beginning of launching the server.

EDIT2: Now the server isn't working anymore and I am getting a new error.

[WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

2012-02-13 19:28:06 [iNFO] [buildCraft] EntityItem.toEntityItem: World was null! Using default world.

2012-02-13 19:28:08 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

2012-02-13 19:28:10 [iNFO] [buildCraft] EntityItem.toEntityItem: World was null! Using default world.

2012-02-13 19:28:14 [WARNING] Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

I cannot join the server at all.

So I did some more testing. I tried reinstalling a fresh server. It ran perfectly into the new world. As soon as I put the old world into the fresh server, I get the exact same errors that wont let me get on the server.

Without that fix, I get that big list of errors. With that fix, I get that one line of error spammed in the cmd. At this point, I am guessing that it is one of the buildcraft items that I added that is ruining the server.

I don't get how this error happen. Nothing like I ever seen it. The error only occurred right after I shut down the server. I closed it down like usual, but the next time I loaded the server up, it started happening. Is something written in a file of some sort when the server is shut down?

EDIT1: I have done some more extensive trial and erroring and I have found out what is giving me the error. When you go to your world folder in the server folder, I removed "level.dat". That made my problem go away with the problem that the world is completely new. It seems to me as a lost cause now. I definitely wont be going back to minecraft or tekkit if I cannot go back to my original world.

ive had that error, and i posted about it in another thread. basicly your pipes are either in an infinate loop or something happened that dropped a boatload of items on the ground from pipes. i could be wrong about that, but from my experiance thats what seems to cause it.

Well this happened after I made a few cobblestone generators that sends the cobblestone to chests, the cs from the chest is sent to a recycler, and the scrap from the recycler is sent to a mass fabricator. The chests started overfilling and started popping from the top. Would that be the cause? I don't think I have any infinite loops, but I may be wrong. Such a shame, if I can't get my map to work even in 2.0 tekki, I am gonna be done with minecraft all together.

UPDATE: Hmm, I just removed level.dat and level.dat_olds from the world directories, and apparently with the current client and server config I can now run my machines in the same world I had problems in, go figure, since I did do that before (but not for nether and the end) but maybe I just wasn't careful enough to follow procedure when I was trying out different things. But still if you have some comments on this I'd like to hear them! At least my world works for now and I didn't lose the resources I gathered yesterday :)

Original message below:

Sorry for the bump and if I should have posted this to the bug thread instead of this one, I wasn't sure, but,

Well this happened after I made a few cobblestone generators that sends the cobblestone to chests, the cs from the chest is sent to a recycler, and the scrap from the recycler is sent to a mass fabricator. The chests started overfilling and started popping from the top. Would that be the cause? I don't think I have any infinite loops, but I may be wrong. Such a shame, if I can't get my map to work even in 2.0 tekki, I am gonna be done with minecraft all together.

I have this exact problem with the current version of Tekkit (new world created for 2.0), I had a very simple cobble generator optionally recycling its output, it also worked fine for a few days but yesterday evening it stopped working (I think I let the launcher do an update, but didn't touch the server config - can't tell if it's related to this particular problem because I didn't think of checking the operation of all machines after update). I just noticed the deployer doesn't deploy buckets any more and acts weird too, at one point I had it deploying the lava about 5 blocks away instead of in front of it but mostly it just doesn't work at all. It's possible that some chest had overflown before, hard to tell now.

You need to use this fix http://forums.technicpack.net/index.php/topic,35.0.html that has already been linked to you. This is THE buildcraft crash. Look harder at stickied threads next time.

Unfortunately that link doesn't work and I apologize for simply not finding a stickied thread about this, but I did find something like this http://www.technicpack.net/tekkit-buildcraft-crashes/ (and some other threads about redpower permissions and so on). But do I understand correctly that I need to get an *older* version of Buildcraft to fix this? Currently as far as I can see, the tekkit server pack has version 2.2.12 of buildcraft and the version that's linked to is 2.2.11 and I'd like to avoid downgrading things, if possible.

When I start the server I get this so I'm not really sure if this is about redpower or buildcraft, how would I find where the conflict is? What number is -204?

Aliasing material 150 name: rpmachine

Adding Material: 151:X151

Adding Material: 1325:X1325

Adding Material: 1326:X1326

Adding Material: 1328:X1328

CONFLICT @ -204

12:18:22 [iNFO] Starting minecraft server version 1.1

12:18:22 [iNFO] Loading properties

12:18:22 [iNFO] Starting Minecraft server on *:25565

12:18:22 [iNFO] This server is running CraftBukkit version git-Bukkit-1.1-R4-b1938jnks (MC: 1.1) (Implementing API version 1.1-R4)

12:18:22 [iNFO] MLog clients using java 1.4+ standard logging.

12:18:22 [iNFO] Preparing level "Miero masiinamualima"

12:18:22 [iNFO] Default game type: 0

12:18:22 [iNFO] Preparing start region for level 0 (Seed: -4072550783361247895)

12:18:23 [iNFO] Attempted to place a tile entity (eloraam.machine.TileDeploy@2cf63) at -215,46,286 (AIR) where there was no entity tile!

12:18:23 [iNFO] Chunk coordinates: -224,272

12:18:23 [sEVERE] java.lang.Exception

12:18:23 [sEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.Chunk.a(Chunk.java:622)

12:18:23 [sEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.Chunk.a(Chunk.java:595)

12:18:23 [sEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkLoader.a(ChunkLoader.java:234)

12:18:23 [sEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkRegionLoader.a(ChunkRegionLoader.java:53)

12:18:23 [sEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkProviderServer.loadChunk(ChunkProviderServer.java:135)

12:18:23 [sEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.ChunkProviderServer.getChunkAt(ChunkProviderServer.java:78)

12:18:23 [sEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.a(MinecraftServer.java:332)

12:18:23 [sEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.init(MinecraftServer.java:178)

12:18:23 [sEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:411)

12:18:23 [sEVERE]    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:465)

I've probably just messed something up at some point, but I didn't really touch the server at all besides making the initial configuration and putting up the fixes to WirelessRedstone, weaponmod, forestry and Computercraft mods that were described in the bug thread, at least I can't recall any other significant tweaks I might've done. When my contraptions didn't work any more after working fine for about two days, I tried to fix it but I can't be sure any more if that conflict error was there before or not.

However, I just tested and replaced my world with a backup, and now the machine works again, just too bad I didn't yet configure the backup plugin to take backups more than once a day ;) But apparently I do get the CONFLICT @ -204 message (why does it not show up in server.log!) even though the machine works now, but will it break in two days again unless I fix something for real?

I'd also like to know if a misconfigured client can actually mess up a world on a server like that or is this necessarily a server issue? I haven't hosted a Minecraft server before so this is pretty new for me.

Thank you for this great modpack!