Please help me out...

IAmAqua

Hello everyone, first of all, to begin with, thank you for taking time to try and help me, i appreciate it!

So i just got Technic for my friend by buying her Minecraft because i wanted to play Tekkit/Hexxit with her so bad and for some reason, when i host a server, i myself get 220+ ping and my friend who lives in the same area as i do, gets 4900+ ping and no less. I have tried everything, giving more ram to her, giving more ram to server, my game, her game, no matter what i did, it isnt working.

Now i know this isnt a connection issue as on a normal Minecraft server we play perfectly fine at 50- ping which is great.

So i dont know what the problem is or if it relates to my PC so just in case, i will post my specs as well.

Thank you for your time once again!

PC Specs-
Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AM3+
AMD FX-6300 Processor Clocked at 3.8 Ghz.
8 GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM Clocked at 1600 Mhz.
Asus GTX 760 DCOC2
HDD's are-
Seagate 2 TB
2x WD Black 320 GB

Sounds odd. 5000 ping means a full five second delay for a signal roundtrip, which points to a misconfiguration somewhere. For comparison, if this delay was distance-related, your friend would be about as far away from you as the moon is from earth.

I bet you are either being restricted by a wrong router configuration or simply get starved for bandwidth somewhere along the way. Try reversing, i.e. make your friend host a game to check what this does to the delay. If that works fine, consider leaving it like that (your friend doing the hosting), or start debugging your connection.

Edited by Curunir

Sounds odd. 5000 ping means a full five second delay for a signal roundtrip, which points to a misconfiguration somewhere. For comparison, if this delay was distance-related, your friend would be about as far away from you as the moon is from earth.

I bet you are either being restricted by a wrong router configuration or simply get starved for bandwidth somewhere along the way. Try reversing, i.e. make your friend host a game to check what this does to the delay. If that works fine, consider leaving it like that (your friend doing the hosting), or start debugging your connection.

The thing is, i have no idea about all the advanced things of connections and configurations and what not. its simple, i use hamachi to host the server coz port forwarding doesnt work too well with my router.

Now the other reason i do hamachi is coz i have 2 routers. i tried hosting with both, as a matter of fact, i tried hosting with 3 different routers connected to 3 different connections. all of which gave her 4500+ ping.

Im really frustrated coz i got her minecraft mainly to be able to play Hexxit/Tekkit with her and there was no avail.

Oh and PS, Shes using a laptop so i doubt the ability of her hosting but i will try that and update you. Thanks :D

1st thing you should solve is your own ping, sounds strange to me that you get 220 + ping when you are doing the server yourself...

so you're not hosting on a dedicated machine in your network are you?

Do you have any Firewall or active Anti-Virus running?

1st thing you should solve is your own ping, sounds strange to me that you get 220 + ping when you are doing the server yourself...

so you're not hosting on a dedicated machine in your network are you?

Do you have any Firewall or active Anti-Virus running?

Firewall no, antivirus is AVG.

I dont get why i get 200+ ping, with one of the routers i get a regular nice 20 ping but she still gets really high ping.

Any ideas ? 

Thank you!

Oh and im using my own pc to play and host but i have enough ram i believe.

Hamachi routes your traffic around and may be the cause of that lag, in case the service is overused. Too much success will work like a DDOS attack for such a service, which can result in four-digit pings or disconnects.

It still might be a simple router misconfiguration. I'm sorry, but you do need some network knowledge to sort these out, no way around that. Or get tech support from somebody who knows that stuff, on-site.

Alternatively, you could look for a public server that you both can join.

Hamachi routes your traffic around and may be the cause of that lag, in case the service is overused. Too much success will work like a DDOS attack for such a service, which can result in four-digit pings or disconnects.

It still might be a simple router misconfiguration. I'm sorry, but you do need some network knowledge to sort these out, no way around that. Or get tech support from somebody who knows that stuff, on-site.

Alternatively, you could look for a public server that you both can join.

Do you believe that if i get rid of hamachi and open the required port, it would work ?

Thanks for your time!

how do you host the server and how do you connect to it?

are you opening a SP game and open it for lan games or are you using the dedicated server?

are you connecting by ip, or by name? Is the IP your local IP (you can look it up by executing "ipconfig" in a command shell) or are you connecting to your loopback-device (127.0.0.1)?

Do you believe that if i get rid of hamachi and open the required port, it would work ?

I believe that you should try it and compare the results. Debugging these problems works by elimination - try switching out components until you find the one component that causes the problem. HeatHunter's questions are also important to determine how you are actually doing the hosting. Although I do believe that none of the errors you can make there will result in that kind of latency.

Using ipconfig to determine your IP can be daunting. You can also simply enter "IP" into a search engine and it will display your current public one, like so: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip

Do note that when using Hamachi, you get another IP address that works only inside the Hamachi network. Make sure to use your actual public IP and disable Hamachi entirely when trying to do it the regular way. And don't forget to forward port 25565 in all routers between you and the WAN (=public internet).

Edited by Curunir

as a tip, if you're connecting to a local server, you shouldn't use your public ip, as this could mean you are doing a roundtrip on your router (a cheap one could also have it's problems with routing that correctly)

I recommend that you solve your local problem first, a ping > 200 is inacceptable for a local connection. (should be something around 5-10ms)

so make sure you're connecting by your PC's ip, or the loopback IP (127.0.0.1)

If your high ping persists, you should try to ping the interface in a command shell and see if the latency also shows there, then it could be caused by a misconfiguration of your OS or a piece of software running in the background.

as a tip, if you're connecting to a local server, you shouldn't use your public ip, as this could mean you are doing a roundtrip on your router (a cheap one could also have it's problems with routing that correctly)

I recommend that you solve your local problem first, a ping > 200 is inacceptable for a local connection. (should be something around 5-10ms)

so make sure you're connecting by your PC's ip, or the loopback IP (127.0.0.1)

If your high ping persists, you should try to ping the interface in a command shell and see if the latency also shows there, then it could be caused by a misconfiguration of your OS or a piece of software running in the background.

I am connecting to the Hamachi IP, i use localhost, my friend uses the hamachi IP, i will try the forward opening thing and see what happens, i fixed my local ping to 20-

I hope i can find a solution  to this or it just might be my network!

Thanks for your time!

Oh man.. Ive given up. Thank you guys for your time! You all were great help :D Good day to everyone! Ill try again at my uncle's place he has a 15 MB fibre optic connection which should get the job done. Thank you once again!