Does it matter what id i set ANY item at?

TechnicForumMember

Ok so I want to add a crap ton of mods and have tried using idfixminus to resolve conflicts and such which worked for a while... so then i added more mods and it didnt help anymore... at one point mobs refused to spawn and then further adding cause id mismatches when trying to join the server EVEN though i had id fix and copied my config/mod folders over to my %appdata% (meaning i delete the folders and replace them with the folders from server)

so im back to the drawing board. can i simply go down the list of mods and edit EVERY id? going from 1-4000 or higher if needed? idk if doing that to every id could cause items to not exist for w.e reason so i wanted to ask before i attempted it.

another problem is i get permgem space which i think ik how it was solved (adding xpermgemsize) to javas "options" but it interferes with other games like wakfu giving java errors. is there a fix to that?

atm i have most updated java for x32 and x64 (some things i play demand both) (windows 8.1)

i give the launcher 4gb ram

i have my server 4gb on both settings inside the .bat file.

so simple break down of questions

can i edit every id and have all mods function correctly?

are there mods im NOT supposed to edit? and are there mods that will NOT go together

is there an easier method to bypass/resolve permgem size/space (besides the obvious remove mods)

and am i copying over the right folders to my appdata to be fixing the id mismatch conflicts

i can apply any more info if needed

I know some of you are extremely helpful so I appreciate your never ending support. 

• Discord Moderator

1. can i edit every id and have all mods function correctly?

2. are there mods im NOT supposed to edit? and are there mods that will NOT go together

3. is there an easier method to bypass/resolve permgem size/space (besides the obvious remove mods)

4. and am i copying over the right folders to my appdata to be fixing the id mismatch conflicts

1. ID numbers for blocks, items, biomes, enchantments, potions, etc. are completely arbitrary except for the restriction that certain types of IDs should be in certain ranges: Blocks <=4095, Items <=31743, Biome & Enchants <= 255, Potions <= 31. There would almost never be a reason to edit every single ID in all the mods. Just examine your FML client log while building/debugging the pack to identify conflicts and fix those.
  2. The only mods you can't edit are those that don't provide config files. Believe it or not there are still people making mods with in-game content that don't make or use config files. Hard coded IDs are the suck. I have seen situations where someone tried to make a pack with two of these that conflicted with each other. The only way around this is to remove one of them.
  3. PermSize can easily be increased by editing the version.json file in your modpack.jar. Here is an example of a 1.6.4 modpack.jar with increased PermSize: http://solder.circlecraft.info/mods/minecraft-forge/minecraft-forge-1.6.4_9.11.1.965_PG.zip
  4. The "correct" way to build a pack (IMO) is to start with JUST forge in the pack (binmodpack.jar). Make sure that works and then start methodically adding mods. Add them singly if they stand alone (like BuildCraft or Mystcraft) or in logical groups (all Immibis' mods, ProjectRed's mod collection). Test continuously so that you will know exactly what is causing the problem and can more easily resolve issues. Adding 100 mods into a pack and then trying to start it just yields frustration.

1. ID numbers for blocks, items, biomes, enchantments, potions, etc. are completely arbitrary except for the restriction that certain types of IDs should be in certain ranges: Blocks <=4095, Items <=31743, Biome & Enchants <= 255, Potions <= 31. There would almost never be a reason to edit every single ID in all the mods. Just examine your FML client log while building/debugging the pack to identify conflicts and fix those.
  2. The only mods you can't edit are those that don't provide config files. Believe it or not there are still people making mods with in-game content that don't make or use config files. Hard coded IDs are the suck. I have seen situations where someone tried to make a pack with two of these that conflicted with each other. The only way around this is to remove one of them.
  3. PermSize can easily be increased by editing the version.json file in your modpack.jar. Here is an example of a 1.6.4 modpack.jar with increased PermSize: http://solder.circlecraft.info/mods/minecraft-forge/minecraft-forge-1.6.4_9.11.1.965_PG.zip
  4. The "correct" way to build a pack (IMO) is to start with JUST forge in the pack (binmodpack.jar). Make sure that works and then start methodically adding mods. Add them singly if they stand alone (like BuildCraft or Mystcraft) or in logical groups (all Immibis' mods, ProjectRed's mod collection). Test continuously so that you will know exactly what is causing the problem and can more easily resolve issues. Adding 100 mods into a pack and then trying to start it just yields frustration.

o wow i never caught on to the specifics of why some had limits. ty for explaining that part very well. i really appreciate it.... would explain why some id mis matches happened even after i copied over config files

Keep in mind that most, but not all, item IDs are up-shifted by 256 in game versus what is set in the config files.

i will keep that in mind tyvm again plow :)

I just want to assure myself before tampering with the version.json

if for whatever reason my mod pack does NOT have the -xxpermgemsize:256m 

am i supposed to add it manually? 

Edited by TechnicForumMember

Forge does not include that option by default. Take a look at the file I liked for an example of how to add it.

Learning lots of new things today x.x you the man :D

just 1 more question... Say i wanted and succeeded in cramming 150+mods what is considered too much permgem size

i was gonna add 1024m but idk if maybe thats too little? too much? 

Edited by TechnicForumMember