Nether Portal fail

Earthroar

Without going creative, I want to make a nether portal work.  Standard parameters between 4x5 and 23x23 size frames, but when igniting with flint, will not activate the portal.  I tried removing EnhancedPortals2, still does not work. I understand that with EnhancedPortals, you need glowdust to craft what is needed, which is there some other way to acquire besides the unattainable nether that you are trying to get to?  What mods would I need to remove or disable?

Thanks.   I thought I might try going through and making different size portals...    sadly, really, it does seem the only one that works anymore versus the core minecraft is that it REALLY must be a 2x3 portal space, or 4x5 obsidian frame.

Thank you though.

the vanilla portal size must be 4x5 frame, they didnt introduce the customization until 1.7. The EP2 needs the portal modifier block as well as using the glowstone encrusted flint and steel. I believe it also needs the dimensional upgrade in order to work.

The wording of the upgrade is, and I quote verbatim,

Portal Modification Upgrade

Allows travel to any dimension

Allows travel to same dimension

EnchancedPortals2

That second line is key in associating that it'd be necessary for all dimensions and not just the same one.