Battlegear Woes

jakj

What an amazing mod this is! And yet, it spurns me. :-(

Its default sheathe/unsheathe key is R, and Portalgun's default reset key is R. When both mods are present, pressing R causes a crash in Portalgun.

"Aha!", say I. "Simply rebind the sheathe key and all is well!" Well...except the Battlegear .ini file's keybind setting is ignored.

"Boo," say I. "Well, I can rebind the Portalgun key instead!" Well...except Portalgun still uses that key even if you rebind it! It makes a "click", presumably to say "Hey, you rebound this key. So don't press it."

Really?

Yeah...really. >_<

Now, I can give up Portalgun, or I can give up Battlegear, or I can whip up MCP and spend a day decompiling and rewriting Portalgun. Yeah. Hooray for tough choices!

Just thought I'd share. Y'know...'cause.

Are you just talking use of them together in general or with Technic specifically? I only ask because I have a MultiMC build I use (based off of Direwolf20's build) and one of the several mods I added was Battlegear. I changed the sheathe/unsheathe key to Q and it has worked just fine ever since. If I may lend help some how, I'd gladly do so.

Yes, tell me how you rebound the sheathe/unsheathe key. I tried putting it in by keycode but it didn't take.

Battlegear is also unfortunately incompbatible with KeepInventory. :-( But that's less of an issue because I can just use my double-death-chest tweak.

All I did was go into the Controls menu in the game options and change it there. In the menu, I put the Drop command on K, then changed the sheathe key, called in the menu "Draw Weapons," to Q. I'm using the latest versions of both mods. If that doesn't work, I don't know how else to help as I don't know the first thing about programming.

Wow. I didn't even look there. I was just trying to edit the config file. Talk about forest and trees...

Also, that made me realize that Inventory Tweaks bound sort inventory to R also, which is probably the clicking I heard, and I may have blamed Portalgun for nothing. So yeah. That was a thing.

Yeah, right now I'm trying to get Finite Liquids to run in the midst of lots of other mods, and I'm failing miserably.

I would literally rip off both of my testicles as payment if Chicken Bones were to hand me a fully-functional code-chicken-loader for 1.2.5. I mean, really. The euphoria I felt when I successfully merged Finite Liquids with Forge has already worn off as I'm looking at having to merge it with even more mods. This shit ain't trivial. >_<

Best of luck to you on that. Can't imagine how hard all that is nowadays, working with two (or more) modders methods of coding things. It may be the same program, but underneath can still end up seeming like different languages. Sometimes I'm glad I pulled out of the whole modding scene after RA2.