Some General Tekkit 2.1.1 Questions

Hello, Im trying to run a tekkit 2.1.1 server ( Yes i know tekkit 3.0.3 is out ) I was wonder how to add more RAM to the minecraft server (My own server has 6gb of ram) I only have one gb allocated to the minecraft server everytime I add more or less it says

"Can not generate Java Virtual machine" But as i said with just one gig allocated it works fine. Another Question; Black listing items; Do I need a plugin for that or through one of the files? When adding more RAM do I edit the launch.bat or with a .txt document? Just some General Questions i would liked answerd :P!

~

Thanks, mod edit: don't do this k!

Edit the batch file with notepad, wordpad etc. It's basically a text file with an extension that tells your OS to run it rather than open it.

To stop items being craftable use recipemanager which i'm 99% certain is in tekkit 2.1 by default. To find out how just google recipe manager :).

Thanks for answering :) I have already edit the launch bat multiply of times.

Works

java -Xmx1G -Xms1G -jar Tekkit.jar

pause

Does not work

java -Xmx5G -Xms5G -jar Tekkit.jar

pause

Using World Guard to blacklist items and recipe manager (Running Windows Server 2003 r2 with Java 6 and 7 installed) Should i try to launch it through command line with the tekkit.jar?

Have you tried something more along the lines of:

java -Xmx5G -Xms1G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

or

java -Xmx5G -Xms2G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

?

I'm, of course, referring to editing the launch.bat.

Using World Guard to blacklist items and recipe manager (Running Windows Server 2003 r2 with Java 6 and 7 installed) Should i try to launch it through command line with the tekkit.jar?

If you launch the Tekkit.jar or command line, you're ignoring the parameters of the bat file that specifies how much RAM should be allocated to your server. You can probably launch it command line with specific parameters that'll do the same thing (that's the point of the batch file) but, if you can run the launch.bat, I'd do that.

Have you tried something more along the lines of:

java -Xmx5G -Xms1G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

or

java -Xmx5G -Xms2G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

?

Those both did not work :( Heres the exact codes from cmd

C:\Documents And Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Tekkit_server_2.1.1>java -Xmx5G -Xms1G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx5G

The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size.

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

Error: A Fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

~~~~

If you want to talk on skype heres my skype ~DeathxxAngelxx

I don't run skype because it causes issues with my rig.

However, have you ensured that you have java 7 pathed properly in windows instead of having java 6 pathed? You can also try replacing "java" with your java 7 exec "C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" I believe (EditL if it's pathed to "Program Files (x86)", you're running a 32 bit version which is the cause of your problems, I go into it later). I'm no Java pro but I'd venture a guess that java refuses to create a that much of a heap because it's trying to run java from path and that java is possibly a 32 bit version of java.

I would check and ensure that java 7 64 bit was installed and pathed properly by windows. You can also verify this by trying to run your server with the xmx set to a gig ("1024M") and the xmx set to "1536M" (a gig and a half). If this runs, (I believe) you are trying to run the server in a 32 bit environment which has inherent limitations on the amount of RAM you can allocate to a 32 bit app.

Also, by running 6Gb of RAM I'm sure it's safe to assume your OS is 64 bit, correct?

Also, this page might help you with some of the minor things like how to path on your OS (possibly) and what the different things mean and how they affect your server: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_server

If you try the above, report back with the results of each attempt, please.

Well I checked really quick and it turns out Windows Server 2003 is 32 bit :( From what your telling me is that i can only have a max of 1 gb allocated to the server? Redid the path Still did not work Java, 32 bit 1.7 is installed onto the server itself. Tryed the xmx set to one gig and xms to 1536M Still didnt work. So in conclusion 32 bit java is shit and i will have to upgrade to a 64 bit OS to allocate more RAM?

Well I checked really quick and it turns out Windows Server 2003 is 32 bit :( From what your telling me is that i can only have a max of 1 gb allocated to the server? Redid the path Still did not work Java, 32 bit 1.7 is installed onto the server itself. Tryed the xmx set to one gig and xms to 1536M Still didnt work. So in conclusion 32 bit java is shit and i will have to upgrade to a 64 bit OS to allocate more RAM?

Basically. In fact, I'm surprised you're able to run a server that has 6Gb installed and are running a 32bit operating system. When I tried to do something similar a few years ago my computer would try to write to RAM it wasn't allowed to (anything over 4Gb) and crash hardcore.

That being said, you're going to have to go to a 64 bit operating system and 64 bit version of Java 7 to get more RAM allocated. However, if you're in a hurry, there's good news. If you have the free HD space and/or can repartition (probably on a spare since you'd have to reformat the drive), you can install a copy of linux tonight within an hour or so and run your server from a linux environment. It's a bit more complicated and may take some research but it's free ;p

If not, you'll have to switch to another 64 bit OS to run the server with more RAM. If you go with linux, there's a few posts on this forum about running Tekkit from linux since some distros of linux require special handling or something. I actually dual boot into Ubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop 64 bit and Ubuntu has a server distro of 12.04 available in 64 bit. I'd try that. Good luck mate and report back what worked for you.

Disclaimer (mostly for other linux people on here): I use Ubuntu because I like the interface and have had reasonable success with it thus far. I may not be averse to trying other distros but don't try to tell me your distro is the holy grail.

Well I guess I'll be upgrading to Windows Server 2008 R2 (Did some reaserch, thats 64bit) Hopefully be done with that by tommarow or saturday! Thanks for your help Yuriy im more of a Windows guy so im going to stick with that. Will report back when its installed and tested! Thanks again because you were pretty much the only one to help! :P

That's what happens when you don't sleep much this time of night ;p

That's fine man, I use windows for most everything but serious diagnostics, mem testing, and troubleshooting, it's nice to know a bit of linux and have a good linux boot disk. I haven't run a minecraft server in linux yet but I have hosted plenty of website and ftp servers in it. Hell, I remember getting a laptop that wouldn't boot anything because the HD was so f-ed and I was able to load a distro of linux on it and it'd actually work (this thing was really far gone, ha-ha); it wouldn't work very well and you had to finesse it a bit but the damn thing ran.

Good luck with the new OS install and don't forget to backup all your stuff.

:D

You can enable PAE to let Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (if you have that) see all 6GB of RAM, even know its only got 32bit.

To do this:

Ensure you can see system files by setting them visible within a Folder Options Dialog.

Open BOOT.INI from your Boot Drive

At the end of the BOOT.INI paramaters section where you can see it selecting a disk (it should have Windows Server 2003 listed in it) add /PAE.

Example:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /PAE