Technic Launcher Won't Start

DragonAltair

Question

Launcher/Pack Version: 1.0.1.3. though if i right click it and go to properties it says file version 1.0.1.0.

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-bit.

Version of Java: jre7u4 64-bit. I have both Java 6 & 7 installed but have set java 7 in the environment variables.

Anti-Virus program: Avast! free antivirus

Description of Problem: I try to run the technic launcher and it will say downloading launcher (When the .techniclauncher folder is deleted to try to see if it just messed up the download.) and it says done though the bar is only at half way (don't think that's too relevant). Then it tries to start and I get the little circle that says loading. When that disappears the logo pops up but it then gets stuck or freezes on that. It will not close unless I restart my computer or go into task manager and end the java.exe process. It was working previously when I was on jre7u3 untill I deleted the .techniclauncher folder. I deleted the folder when I couldn't connect to the authentication servers because I was thinking that if I re-downloaded everything it might work(this was previous to the post saying the authentication servers were down). Now it hasn't worked since. I have tried re-downloading and installing Java 7 which is why it is now jre7u4. I have also tried running the JAR version of the launcher by double clicking it and using a batch file. none have worked. I have read through the common problems lists and the anti-virus list (Avast! is not on the list so yay!) I have also created an exception in my Avast! to tell it to not scan the file so it would not try to block it as well as making the launcher to run as administrator whenever I run it. Still nothing has worked. I am assuming this is a Java error as most errors like this are for the launcher but I have tried everything I have seen or heard of while browsing the topics on this forum to try and fix this but nothing has worked. I would really like some help so I can play these mods again as I don't want to try to manually mod my minecraft and try to get everything compatible which I know I can't. Thank you for to anyone who answers this with some helpful information.

Error Message: N/A

Pastebin of log: http://pastebin.com/nSZKAsUi

I'm having a similar issue, so I can add to the report but shall not start a new thread seeing a one already exists.

Launcher/Pack Version: 1.0.1.3

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 64-bit (Just as a note, DragonAltair is using Service Pack 1, I'm using Service Pack 2, in case that makes any difference)

Version of Java: Version 7 Update 4, build 1.7.0_04-b22

Antivirus Program: ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.1.065.000 (Another note, I searched the Zone Alarm logs looking for the same time stamp from the technic launcher logs [23:31:31], none found;

vsmon version: 10.1.065.000 however, in the program log at [18:56:56] ZoneAlarm records that the Technic Launcher is a new program, as it was just downloaded.

Driver version: 10.0.217.000 I did go in to make sure the technic launcher was allowed to run and isn't being blocked in any way.)

Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79

Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1086758432

ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.350.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.350.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

Description of Problem: Upon starting up the launcher version 1.0.1.3, it reaches the Technic Launcher logo, where it stops with the logo stuck on the screen. All other applications and processes continue as normal behind the logo. Upon examining the task manager, no application that is connected to the launcher, only the java.exe process. The entire application closes and the logo is frozen on the screen. Like DragonAltair, the only way to remove the logo is by restarting the system in some way or ending that java.exe process. Like Dragon Altair, I've downloaded the technic launcher again and downloaded java again. I have also tried running the .jar with Java SE Binary, but that ends in the same way. I searched the technic launcher logs to find the following two entries for the processes that I have started with this fourth download of the technic launcher that ended with the same bug, no other processes were run besides these two that are in the pastebin.

Pastebin of log: http://pastebin.com/3NPUpDkR

I'm not entirely sure what the "mirrors" are and why they are failing, or what the exception in the "main" thread is; granted, I suppose if I did, I wouldn't be here posting on the bug boards. The exception message appears in both my log and DragonAltair's log.

Just another possible factor: Before the launcher came out, I was manually installing the technic pack (So yes, I very much appreciate the work put in by the members of the Technic Team), while obviously new versions of java have come out and I've downloaded java multiple times, I'm not sure there is the possibility that settings or parameters were somehow damaged. All the files originally associated with that manual installation are gone, the .minecraft, and of the mod folders, and the java, except the 7-Zip File Manager.

I'm very sorry if this violates the mandatory report format in any way. I'm just Suchanoob.

Sorry Dragon Altair that this doesn't really help you in resolving the problem, and to any one who might try to help, as this basically doubles the problem.

None of the suggested solutions have worked for me. I don't know. I did manage at one point in time to restore a previous version of the .techniclauncher folder then tried downloading a new one (which still gave me the frozen logo and error) I was then able to copy files from the restored folder and put them in the new one. It got the launcher to open but it was like glitched out in apperance. Aswell as it was saying download failed when trying to log in. Also when playing straight from the restored version of the folder it opens the launcher fine and everything looks normal except for the fact that it says I cannot connect to minecraft.net and only gives me the option to go to offline mode. though even in offline mode i can connect to my tekkit 2.1.1 server in online mode: false as Player. Still though I find it odd that i can open the launcher with a older version of the folder. Though not so odd because everything is already downloaded. It fails to download the files to generate a new .techniclauncher folder which is why i believe it will not open the launcher. My question is what could be causing that? I thought minecraft.net server were back up. I can log in and join servers with my regular minecraft. I am wondering that maybe that the place it is trying to download the files from is failing? Is there a way to check somehow that it is failing somewhat to where it is working for some and not for others? And if that was the case is there a way to fix that?

My AV isn't blocking it, I know that. The Firewall, Antivirus, and Program logs do not show any activity against java. The OSFirewall logs show that java is being allowed to operate correctly. I've tried using the .jar alot with Java Platform SE Binary and it never works. Since this is my first time using the technic launcher on this computer (It functioned properly on my mac), I don't have any point to restore it to that functions properly like DragonAltair. I'm assuming this problem is occurring from this main thread exception, because java keeps giving a null pointer exception for both of us. Is it supposed to be referencing a null pointer? From what I am assuming (with very limited knowledge) is that a pointer in the main thread is missing some code or it isn't initializing correctly. Or this is normal and the launcher is freezing for a still unknown reason.

I'm not a software coder though, I'm just Suchanoob. In all probability, I just posted the dumbest thing ever.

I understand that you are trying to say that because not everybody is complaining about it means it is just to one person. You also though make it sound like you are not going to care to check. You say it is just me when I have seen Multiple posts from different people stating that the launcher is not working. I am not trying to be aggressive nor am I trying to say that you don't care. But obviously there is something more than a client side error when it is saying failed to get the files from the site. I have (and i say this is absolute confidence) that I have tried everything to fix the problem that has been posted as a possible solution to it being a java problem or a AV blocking it. I am just wishing that someone would just check to see that all the files are working on the site and that they are all able to be accessed without an issue by the launchers. It could be possible that the files did get downloaded by a lot of people correctly and then the files seemed to start failing. That would explain why the whole forum is not exploding with the problem. Again I am not trying to be aggressive. I am just trying to get this problem fixed and giving a suggestion that it might be something on the files side and not just a client side issue.

It's definitely not on our end. The vast majority of those posts either get solved within a few hours, or are plain old user error. Things like not downloading the newer launcher.

You'll notice that none of the regulars, mods, or long time players are having this issue, it's just new people who aren't used to how things operate.

If you really want to get this fixed, you'll stop telling us to check the hosting, and actually cooperate with us.

Now, I suggest a full clean up of all your minecrafty bits. just completely cleanse it. .techniclauncher, the launcher exe, and java. Kill it all and start clean on it, thne give us a new log if it still fails.

It was working until the minecraft.net servers went down and I hadn't changed anything after the servers came back up other than deleting my .techniclauncher folder but ok i will re-install everything. i will give you the log if it messes up still.

I completely uninstalled and removed both Java 6 and Java 7. I deleted the .techniclauncher and the TechnicLauncher.exe. I started over with the jre-7u4-windows-x64 downloaded from the link provided on technicpack.net. I downloaded the latest launcher for the technic pack straight from your website. Upon start-up, I encountered the same bug with the logo frozen on the screen. I opened up the task manager again to stop the process. Upon checking, I received the following log: http://pastebin.com/svAnk8UL

Just saying, it looks familiar.

I'm having a similar issue, so I can add to the report but shall not start a new thread seeing a one already exists.

Launcher/Pack Version: 1.0.1.3

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 64-bit (Just as a note, DragonAltair is using Service Pack 1, I'm using Service Pack 2, in case that makes any difference)

Version of Java: Version 7 Update 4, build 1.7.0_04-b22

Antivirus Program: ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version: 10.1.065.000 (Another note, I searched the Zone Alarm logs looking for the same time stamp from the technic launcher logs [23:31:31], none found;

vsmon version: 10.1.065.000 however, in the program log at [18:56:56] ZoneAlarm records that the Technic Launcher is a new program, as it was just downloaded.

Driver version: 10.0.217.000 I did go in to make sure the technic launcher was allowed to run and isn't being blocked in any way.)

Anti-virus engine version: 8.1.8.79

Anti-virus signature DAT file version: 1086758432

ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.350.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.350.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

Description of Problem: Upon starting up the launcher version 1.0.1.3, it reaches the Technic Launcher logo, where it stops with the logo stuck on the screen. All other applications and processes continue as normal behind the logo. Upon examining the task manager, no application that is connected to the launcher, only the java.exe process. The entire application closes and the logo is frozen on the screen. Like DragonAltair, the only way to remove the logo is by restarting the system in some way or ending that java.exe process. Like Dragon Altair, I've downloaded the technic launcher again and downloaded java again. I have also tried running the .jar with Java SE Binary, but that ends in the same way. I searched the technic launcher logs to find the following two entries for the processes that I have started with this fourth download of the technic launcher that ended with the same bug, no other processes were run besides these two that are in the pastebin.

Pastebin of log: http://pastebin.com/3NPUpDkR

I'm not entirely sure what the "mirrors" are and why they are failing, or what the exception in the "main" thread is; granted, I suppose if I did, I wouldn't be here posting on the bug boards. The exception message appears in both my log and DragonAltair's log.

Just another possible factor: Before the launcher came out, I was manually installing the technic pack (So yes, I very much appreciate the work put in by the members of the Technic Team), while obviously new versions of java have come out and I've downloaded java multiple times, I'm not sure there is the possibility that settings or parameters were somehow damaged. All the files originally associated with that manual installation are gone, the .minecraft, and of the mod folders, and the java, except the 7-Zip File Manager.

I'm very sorry if this violates the mandatory report format in any way. I'm just Suchanoob.

Sorry Dragon Altair that this doesn't really help you in resolving the problem, and to any one who might try to help, as this basically doubles the problem.

Mine works but sometimes i get the logo stuck in the middle of my screen and i cant get rid of it because its not open on a process so i just crashed my graphics card :D