MineOS and Tekkit

Got this from the MineOS google group. If you use it or need a super simple way to set up a server, then this is some good news for those interested in tekkit.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Will <[email protected]> wrote:

I'm now writing a whole 0.5.0 revamp. Basically, due to somewhat myopic design, as more and more users of MineOS wanted to use more and more mods, I had to keep updating too many areas to accommodate (e.g., tekkit).

By writing from the ground up, I hope to make this future-mod proof by providing a solid framework for dynamically adding and modifying mods via the web-ui. Basically, in the end, the mineos.config and server.config files will determine what shows up on the web-ui, rather than hard-coded ones.

So, where 'minecraft, bukkit and canary' are the options that show up now, when it comes to file checking, downloading, etc, there will be a value like

[mineos]

managed_mods = minecraft,bukkit,tekkit,mypersonalmod, mysecondmoddedjar

managed_directories = /home/mc/dynmap,

This in turn will show these options in the web-ui, sparing you from unwanted info and displaying previously unlisted info (like being able to decide which directories to show megabyte footprints for).

In addition, things like permissions checks will be implemented, attempted to autofix from the script itself, and give more useful logging info.

Lastly, it should introduce the capability of writing plugin-scripts. That is, somewhere in here i'll provide a safe way to access and execute python scripts, such as with:

./mineos_console.py plugin emptylogs

./mineos_console.py plugin dynmap serverone

./mineos_console.py plugin logparser

I'm sure other things will come up too, seeing the new scripts being written by Shaun McCarty. My true goal here is to write up so good a framework that contributing developers can write plugins and override_methods rather than have to deal with the mineos.py file at all, which should make for cleaner code, less buggy, and easier to debug code.

Most people don't have troubles. MineOS was developed off of crux so you can run a server from home with the smallest footprint possible. Basically it's so you can turn that old dell into a dedicated MC server quickly. It's not necessary, but I thought it a was a cool idea. I've used it in a VM for a LAN and it took me 5-10 minutes from start to finish to have a server going.

I tried running a server in a VM before.... Terraria in a VirtualBox (because I refuse to use TShock due to questionable developers on the team) on my Ubuntu Server with a super stripped down XP to run the server with. It sucked, lagged terribly, and all around had performance problems everywhere. Running it through Mono using the old TDSM (which is no longer in development because T-Mod, now TShock overshadowed it) was much, MUCH faster. Since no one is willing to try and get the Terraria Server to work in wine (and because wine has broken package dependencies in Ubuntu Server 12.04), I have decided not to host my little Terraria Server anymore, and concentrate on the Minecraft servers.

I hate to sound like a hater, but Macs are not the most efficient servers. The operating system has a lot of overhead, which means less memory available for the task. It's why I have a Linux server and not a DELL running a stripped down XP. Less overhead, and also I can (and did) upgrade the hardware much more easily.

I know macs suck at server hosting, but as a LAN server host for LAN partys, they are great.

Looks like its time to pull that old harddrive out of the closet and find a inclosure, ill just format that with mineos.

BTW, for those that dont know, bootcamp is not a VM, its a total OS that doesnt require you to boot into mac OSX.

I hate to sound like a hater, but Macs are not the most efficient servers. The operating system has a lot of overhead, which means less memory available for the task. It's why I have a Linux server and not a DELL running a stripped down XP. Less overhead, and also I can (and did) upgrade the hardware much more easily.

MineOS is built with the intentions of being installed on a bare hard drive. I helped a kid with an old Dell get a server up and running. He couldn't make his world very big but it worked for him and his brother.