[3.0.3/3.0.4] Problem with Chunks

gRios16

Question

Title: Problem with Chunks

Version: 3.0.3/3.0.4

Java Version: Java 7 Update #4 64bit

Description of Problem:

I'm having problems with chunks loading ever since I installed Tekkit about a week ago.

The server has the following Bukkit plugins:

- Backup

- Command Book

- Craft Book

- Manta Mob Control

- MultiWorld

- Retractable Bridge

- World Edit

And the following worlds:

- Numenor (was a world that I had since about January, so it's not an "original" Tekkit world)

- Kashmir, and it's respective Nether and The End worlds, all 100% "Tekkit", since I created them after installing Tekkit.

So here's the description:

I installed Tekkit about a week ago and generated a new world for myself, Kashmir, so it was 100% Tekkit; and left Numenor to my friend, since he is playing in Creative mode and will not be using Tekkit's mods that much. Couple days later, I start encountering weird chunk generations (flat mountains, ugly terrain, that sorta stuff) but I ignore it. Later, I adventure out of my home area and find a Swamp biome cut right in the middle, where there is a sort of lake (not that big, but not small) of water, and after that lake is a dessert biome, about a dozen or so blocks higher than the swamp.

Again, I ignored it and just stopped visiting that area.

However, a few hours later, I log off/on and this happens: only a chunk or two load, nothing else. This just keeps happening, and happening, and happening, and every time it does I'm forced to either disconnect/connect from my server, or turn it off/on (most of the times). Also, annoying stuff like placing a block only to having it, and the one under it, dissappear.

All of this made me a bit mad. And all of this was only affecting Kashmir; so my friend, at Numenor, was a happy guy.

So yesterday I decide to look this up on 4chan's /vg/. I got some little help, because no one really knew what to suggest. So, I decide to download MC Edit and take Numenor, a near 100mb map, and prune it, so only my friend's kingdom's chunks remain loaded. This cuts down Numenor to about 25mb, and, I hoped would help my server run better, and remove those chunk errors at Kashmir...but that wasn't the case.

Doing this actually made it worse; now my friend is ALSO suffering this problem, at Numenor. In his kingdom; chunks that have been generated since about February, won't properly load for him like they did before.

Just like it happens to me, he's wandering around fine and dandy and, suddenly, sees a vast of nothingness at the distance. He goes on walking, hoping it will load but, it doesn't. He turns back, and those other chunks start disappearing, or remain to be the only chunks that are loaded. He logs off/on, but the problem is worse now. Only a 5x3-10x7-20x14, or whatever area is loaded. And then, I'm forced to turn my server off/on only to have this happen to both of us eventually.

I'm running this server and client on my laptop, which doesn't have the best specs but, it's worked good for mid-tier games, and has run a couple of demanding games on medium graphics with no problem.

Specs:

4gb RAM

Intel i3 350

ATI HD 5470

Error Messages:

(This is only shown sometimes, not all the times that the error happens)

[WARNING] Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

Error Log:

9 answers to this question

The mismatched chunks are probably because your map was a 1.0/1.1 map and you are loading it into a 1.2.5 world. This will cause major chunk errors due to the changes in the land generation code in core minecraft. The non-loading chunks could possibly be either a really powerful machine nearby, or many items laying on the ground in the area. Try doing a /remove items -1 if you have worldedit installed. If you can get in long enough to check for improperly wired machines, look for things like mfsu's outputs being fed back to inputs (ie. powerloops). Mass amounts of RP2 timers set at max speed can also hinder the chunk rendering speeds.

The mismatched chunks are probably because your map was a 1.0/1.1 map and you are loading it into a 1.2.5 world. This will cause major chunk errors due to the changes in the land generation code in core minecraft. The non-loading chunks could possibly be either a really powerful machine nearby, or many items laying on the ground in the area. Try doing a /remove items -1 if you have worldedit installed. If you can get in long enough to check for improperly wired machines, look for things like mfsu's outputs being fed back to inputs (ie. powerloops). Mass amounts of RP2 timers set at max speed can also hinder the chunk rendering speeds.

The map was created in 1.2.5, and then I switched the server to Tekkit 3.0.3/3.0.4. There's no machines on this map, since it's my friends and he won't be using Tekkit's additions much.

It sounds to me like it is a rendering issue. If the chunks truly weren't loaded you would fall into the void when you stepped into the chunk.

But I do fall into the void, and so does my friend.

Now running it on my gaming rig

Intel core i7 920

nVidia GTX 460

6gig RAM

STILL having the problem...

Any way I can copy the chunks where my friend has done stuff to a new, 100% tekkit (except for the chunks I will paste into it) map? I tried MCedit but it doesn't seem to have the option to do that...

....But I do fall into the void, and so does my friend....

Chunks are FUBAR - probably best outcome is that they can be regenerated to state at world creation. You could try running chunkster or region-fixer against your world files.

Chunks are FUBAR - probably best outcome is that they can be regenerated to state at world creation. You could try running chunkster or region-fixer against your world files.

Ehh, used those and neither really seemed to detect anything.

(Problem is still happening, even after using those)

Thanks for the quick reply though!