technic launcher updater has stopped working

skeptimist71

Question

Launcher Version: the latest

Operating System: windows 7

Java Version: java 7 JRE

Antivirus Program: AVG

Description of Problem:

Upon opening launcher the messege "technic launcher updater has stopped working" appears, and then goes away and launcher fails to open. I have deleted the launcher file and tried to reinstall but it wont let me. i even deleted java and reinstalled and nothing has changed. I've seen this very question asked several times and have yet to see a valid answer/solution. It seems most questions are followed up with others claiming the same issue and yet no one actually answered the question. I had performed %appdata% and opened the launcher via this method but this too eventually failed and ended in white screen. Please only reply IF you have a solution, NOT simply stating you have the same problem, the questions never get answered when this happens. Thanks.

Also, i have the AVG turned off during this process.

Error Messages:

"technic launcher updater has stopped working" windows searching for solution....

Error Log:

• Answers 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Download the jar from the website. (Linux/Jar)

I've downloaded the linux/jar....not sure what to do next. what am i looking for? This is really annoying, and considering the ammount of people that have similar issues with this launcher, you'd think someone would work on making it more stable. I've done nothing to make this fail, hadnt changed settings, no mods added....yet here i am like many many others, perplexed and unable to play. (thats my one and only rant)

what am i supposed to do with this linux/jar?

...double click it to run it.

As for your rant, anyone who is having this issue can search stopped working to find about a dozen threads that tell you how to solve this issue. It is an issue with Internet Explorer that it is downloaded as a zip.

...double click it to run it.

As for your rant, anyone who is having this issue can search stopped working to find about a dozen threads that tell you how to solve this issue. It is an issue with Internet Explorer that it is downloaded as a zip.

I've double clicked to run it and nothing happens, nada, zilch, a big fat zero. I have read many threads on this issue and attempted a few, some of which i had previously attempted as well. If this is a IE issue, would downloading firefox fix this issue? I'm not a fan of IE to begin with, so the switch wouldn't faze me if it potentially fixes the issue. Thanks for your help Jorcer, i appreciate it.

GOOD NEWS GOOD NEWS!!!!!! jORCER, YOU DA MAN BRO! ok, just so everyone that has the same issue's that i had, this is what i did to fix it.

1.downloaded firefox

2. deleted all tekkit / technic files

3. goto tekkit, do not click on the box that says "windows" to download launcher, click on Linux/jar

4. simply double click the technic launcher and you're back in action!

You will lose your texture packs and mods if you have any if you delete all files , as i did, but as with any corrupt file, its best to delete it and start over from scratch. Hope this helps!!

GOOD NEWS GOOD NEWS!!!!!! jORCER, YOU DA MAN BRO! ok, just so everyone that has the same issue's that i had, this is what i did to fix it.

1.downloaded firefox

2. deleted all tekkit / technic files

3. goto tekkit, do not click on the box that says "windows" to download launcher, click on Linux/jar

4. simply double click the technic launcher and you're back in action!

You will lose your texture packs and mods if you have any if you delete all files , as i did, but as with any corrupt file, its best to delete it and start over from scratch. Hope this helps!!

Glad you got it fixed and posted how you did it :) Have fun.

Not really addressing the original problem though, does anyone have any news about the .exe file?

The issue is created by internet explorer, something to do with opening exe. files as a zip. Firefox does not open the file in the same manner. Thats my limited knowledge of the problem. I originally thought it was something to do with the launcher program, i stand corrected. Just a side note, the other thing i've noticed with Firefox is that it opens the launcher much quicker than Internet Explorer. Plus there's no searching for the %appdata% file. I keep my launcher in the download files and simply click on it and BAM, you're in the game.

Well, thats not true because I have this problem and I have only ever used IE once, and that was to download Firefox.

Actually it is true, the difference could be 1. you dont know what you're doing. or 2. you've done something wrong during download. its difficult to really say because everyone sets their computers up differently, such as anti-virus settings for starters, this alone could easily prevent a successful download, as well as firewalls, as well as smartshield being on, etc etc...too many variables to cover them all. I posted exactly what my problem was, and clearly explained what i did to successfully correct the problem. My advice to you is to download CCleaner, run it, do a defrag, erase all junk files, turn off anti-virus, check firewalls, turn off smartshield, reboot and download just as i described above.

Actually it is true, the difference could be 1. you dont know what you're doing. or 2. you've done something wrong during download. its difficult to really say because everyone sets their computers up differently, such as anti-virus settings for starters, this alone could easily prevent a successful download, as well as firewalls, as well as smartshield being on, etc etc...too many variables to cover them all. I posted exactly what my problem was, and clearly explained what i did to successfully correct the problem. My advice to you is to download CCleaner, run it, do a defrag, erase all junk files, turn off anti-virus, check firewalls, turn off smartshield, reboot and download just as i described above.

Wastipk....it s is recommended you turn off anti-virus....this step i actually forgot to do, as i use AVG, and i STILL successfully downloaded the launcher.

Wastipk....it s is recommended you turn off anti-virus....this step i actually forgot to do, as i use AVG, and i STILL successfully downloaded the launcher.

Thanks for helping and adding some new info, in the future use the edit button if you are making posts back to back. It just makes it easier to read and follow :)

Skeptmist, thats so typical of these forums, if something doesn't work then "1. you dont know what you're doing. or 2. you've done something wrong during download". Which is simply not true. I cannot be bothered to argue with you, as I don't even play this modpack any more due to its unstability and complete lack of help from the community. There are one or two helpful people but most have your attitude (if it doesn't work for you, you must be stupid.) Which is an attitude I have never seen in a support forum before.

The fact is there is something stopping people from being able to run the .exe and its not because they're using IE. Also the interesting fact is that I don't have trouble downloading anything else, including the other modpacks. AND I was playing Tekkit for 2 weeks and I decided to reinstall and thats where I ran into this problem.