Anvil World 2.0

The_Walrus469

Hey guys, I had a mod or two in mind. My ideas was as follows:

1. With the new Anvil chunk format, there are now 256 blocks of height instead of 128. However, MC doesn't reflect this when it generates a world--you still have ~64 blocks of underground/water, ~64 blocks of hills and air, and then 128 blocks of nothing. I would like a mod that would generate a world which takes FULL advantage of the 256 blocks--so it would have ~128 blocks of underground/water, and ~128 blocks of hills and air. Twice as much underground content would allow for much better resource striation than the current system and far more expansive mines (making it harder and less worth it to simply do a bedrock crawl). Twice as much overworld content would make mountains more imposing and would generally make the world more realistic-looking. Anyway, that's Idea #1.

2. This can be bundled with Idea #1, but I thought it could stand alone. Basically, this is an extension of what The_DarthMoogle thought of before--a more realistic resource generation algorithm thingy. Iron should spawn more like it does in real life, scattered through the soil. Coal should spawn in huge veins. Furthermore, it should be more worth it to tunnel into mountains, as it is in real life--as it stands, burrowing into a mountain will get you nothing but scattered coal deposits. This hypothetical mod would place resources inside mountains...say, as calculated by the distance from the average top of the chunk (just throwin ideas out there). This would synergize with the larger mountains offered by Idea #1. Finally, I thought that clay should be placed in a way that's more reflective of how it is in real life--right underneath the topsoil. I'm not sure why it's such a precious resource right now, but it's unrealistic. If there were 2-3 blocks of clay under the topsoil in, say, plains biomes, it would be more of a viable building material than it is right now and wouldn't significantly impact the resource balance in Tekkit (EE being a major exception, but it's not like that balances things anyway). There's Idea #2.

Anyway, are either of those possible?

Cubic Chunks...holy goddam. So would I be able to integrate that with Technic/Tekkit? Would I be able to run a Tekkit server with Cubic Chunks enabled? Because that would be awesome, but from what I can tell it doesn't look like it would play nice with other mods.

It has issues with Quarries and IC2 miners, but it should be patchable. The issue is that it hasn't been updated since 1.1, and the author is gnashing his teeth about whether he wants to continue or not.

Please note, DONT BUG HIM ABOUT IT. He made the 4096 ID mod, and has been a huge contributor to MCmodding, and if he wants to quit, he should. Also, he already has a billion people harrassing him about updates.

What you REALLY want is Cubic Chunks, and the Better Ore Distribution mod.
I've used Better Ore Distribution for a while but had to ditch it as it doesn't seem to work with Forge ores. The author was supposed to be working on it but I haven't heard anything about the progress for ages.

• 1 month later...