Server Crash - Assistance needed

CharZinta

So due to serious weather the power went out abruptly while I was at work and then the UPS died. This means the Server shutdown hard and unhappily. While the server came back up the game itself won't. Pasted below is the link to the pastebin file but my "assumption" is I have a corrupt chunk.

Can someone take a peek at the log and confirm and provide suggestions, besides world wipe/reset. I know its a beta test and we have to do it eventually but figure thats also a good time to learn.

Thanks

http://pastebin.com/MxB3cEEQ

• Discord Moderator

Sure enough, that looks like a chunk corruption. You might try using MCEdit to delete/regen the two chunks listed as being wonky. I say this with the utmost sympathy, but there is never any substitute for good backups. If step #1 is getting the server started, step #2 is implement and verify a good backup solution.

Sure enough, that looks like a chunk corruption. You might try using MCEdit to delete/regen the two chunks listed as being wonky. I say this with the utmost sympathy, but there is never any substitute for good backups. If step #1 is getting the server started, step #2 is implement and verify a good backup solution.

Thanks PlowMan.. I have backups, I do hourly right now during beta testing so I can roll back at least 5 times before the crash. I just wanted to learn how to fix this and since it's a beta server. I figure why not :) Thanks again!

9 times out of 10, or more, if there's a power failure I end up loading from backups.  It's not really worth the possibility of leaving a corrupted chunk or two around, since they tend to continue being disruptive well into the future, in my experience.  MCEdit may fix things, unless the corrupted chunk has a lot of construction on it and I don't feel like resetting it.  I have, in the past, pulled chunks from backups and pasted them into the current level files to remove corruption.  That works if there haven't been many, or any, changes to the chunk since the backup (it includes items in chests, etc), but there's enough development that you don't want to wipe it completely.