Problems with energy draw using energy link

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? or is it suppose to work like this?

My issue is I make an Energy Link, to change power cables to pipes. All goes will until I place the wooden pipe on the energy link.

Soon as I do, it starts SUCKING power down, with nothing attached to the conductive pipe, is this intended?

My setup is MFU -> Energy link -> Conductive wooden Pipe -> Coductive golden Pipe -> (Nothing), so from what I tell it shouldn't be pulling power, but its draining my MFU in about 2 minutes

I'm pretty sure that it will convert power as long as it's plugged into power. I don't recall if a redstone signal will shut it off.

The thing is, BC pipes don't pull power like IC wires. If an engine is pumping, it pushes power regardless of power draw on the network.

Ah ok, makes sense, Right now I got a EC splitter and lever to turn it off as a work around. (well work around as in stop drawing my power)

Guess that makes since an Energy Link works like an engine, so its pushing power like an Engine which causes a draw on the power...as apposed to Circuits that only allow a 'pull' of amperage.

Put transformer(s) in so you're only feeding it low voltage, then it will take 74 EU/t constantly but that's better than what it'll chew through with HV. Energy links will pull power no matter what they are powering, even if it's nothing. If you want to turn them off use a splitter cable like you are, or use the redstone properties of an MFSU