Out Of Memory

Binarin

Question

Launcher Version: exe 1.0.1.3

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional

Java Version: Version 6 Update 33

Antivirus Program: Avast!

Description of Problem:

As I was playing the recommended modpack build (6.0.7 | 1.1) I used to get OOM (out of memory) too, but that was not so often. It was ok, it was playable.

But now when I'm playing 6.1.1|1.2.3 the OOM comes much too often. In the options in the launcher I've selected 1GB to be allocated. If I increase it to 1536 MB it does not seem to start at all, that is probably because in the log it says it is actually allocating 247.5 MB.

The error logs link is to the launchers log, starting 1GB, then 1536 MB (a couple of times) and then I reset it to 1GB.

Error Messages:

None

Error Log:

http://pastebin.com/cnNmNJJG

9 answers to this question

I get the same problem with the allocated memory dropping to 247 when in game, the options are pretty much being ignored for everything I try making technic unplayable. My java is updated and compatable with my OS, have no problems with regular old minecraft.

You should probably go to the options in the Technic Launcher, and allocate more memory.

The highest values I could choose from was 1000 MB and 1536 MB, and as I wrote in the description increasing it to 1536 MB just made it worse.

You don't have a 64-bit OS, so you need to use 32-bit Java (which you are). However, 32-bit Java can only ever use 1.5GB of RAM, including the RAM used for the garbage disposal process. Try editing the launcher properties to reduce your memory allocation to 768 MB (I think all you need is the number). You can use Normal, but you will want to reduce the other graphical settings to compensate, and I strongly recommend never using a 32x or higher texture pack.

Thanks for the response Torezu. I tried reducing it to 512 MB, because 768 did not show up in the list. And now it's lagging a little, so maybe I should try 768. How do I set my own values, that does not show up in the list?