How to hook up a recycler?

Yes you could. You can let the pipe where excess goes into loop back to the pipe they're coming from and use an iron pipe to only let them go towards the recyclers. Don't use this method for tons of materials such 200 stacks of cobble. It can cause lag. Unless you have some seriously upgraded recyclers.

When using Redpower tubes, positioning of where your pipes are is -very- important. Typically when you're putting things into IC2 machines, materials go in the top and output out the sides. Sounds like you've got tubes going into the side of your machine instead of into the top as Industrial Miner said. You shouldn't need anything fancy, just your transposer hooked up to a timer and RP tubes.

This should solve things. Also like IM said, get your recycler some upgrades or hook up multiple recyclers if you've got a lot of material to recycle. If you're just using one, a transformer upgrade should allow you to use more overclockers since it can take more EU per packet (LV = 32, MV = 128, HV = 512).

That works too. Forgot about the tubes.

From the amount of Technic/Tekkit I've played, I've just found the tubes to be a lot more versatile than pipes overall. Bugs and multiplayer problems aside, pipes just don't seem to handle materials as well as tubes. I watched a Construction Foam machine I built run buckets of water and empty buckets back and forth in the same tube and follow the appropriate pathing. It was just amazing to see how much smarter they function in contrast to pipes.

It's why I usually steer people away from buildcraft after they've played awhile and have a basic understanding of how things work. It's just better for everyone in the long run. More fun too!