Converting from Vanilla to Tekkit

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if you could offer me some advice.

I have just converted from Vanilla MC to a tekkit un my private server, the items are buildable, but even in never before explored/generated (10,000 blocks away so I'm positive) areas none of the new ores are spawning.

Do I have to start from scratch?

Or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Hopeful side-note: Is there a mod to add tekkit ores to existing vanilla server chunks which have been generated?

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

the only way to get the ores to spawn is to go way off into the distance to find new, unloaded chunks, so they should spawn there unless you did something wrong- need more info on how you converted. but i would recommend starting a new world

Um, he stated that he was very sure he was looking in new chunks that had never been loaded or created before.

My advice is to create a fresh world. Then open both the old world and the fresh world in NBTedit or NBTExplorer and compare them. Hopefully you'll be able to spot the differences, then make those changes in the old save file.

The issue is that all the NBT meta-data is created at one time, which is when the world is generated. If the worldgen ore-producing procedure reads stuff out of the the NBT meta-data, then it will never create ores on a world that was originally Vanilla. I'm guessing that's what's happening.