Can he run games?

Pulse95

My cousin is getting a new laptop to play the Technicpack and play Day-Z. Since I am a dumbass when it comes to computers, he emailed me his specs and asked me. I want to reply to his message, but I don't want to tell him if it is a good laptop or not, which is why I am asking you guys this: Is this a good laptop to run Day-Z and/or Technic.

• 2nd generation 2.3GHz Intel® Core™ i3-2350M processor, 6GB DDR3 SDRAM power you through cyberspace

• Watch movies and burn your own CD/DVDs on the included SuperMulti DVD burner

• Intel HD graphics 3000 delivers vibrant color and crystal clear images to the 17.3" HD display

• 10/100 Ethernet and Wireless-N WLAN* connectivity options

• 640GB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

• Swap files between the HDD and Secure Digital™ cards and Multimedia™ cards

• Ports: 2 SuperSpeed USB 3.0; one each USB 2.0, HDMI, headphone out, microphone in, RJ45 and VGA

• Integrated webcam and microphone for lively chat sessions

• Altec Lansing speakers with Dolby® Advanced Audio v2

• Windows® 7 works the way you want it to

The only important lines for what interests us are :

2nd generation 2.3GHz Intel® Core™ i3-2350M processor, 6GB DDR3 SDRAM

Intel HD graphics 3000

640GB 5400RPM hard drive

Well, this isn't a "great" computer. I think it'll be alright for Technic if you can tweak the settings properly, since I've seen it run well on far shittier hardware.

But I'm not sure about Day Z.

Intel Core i3 isn't extraordinarily recent, but 6 GB of RAM is satisfying, I guess, since many very good PC's don'T have more than 8GB.

The most worrying is the Intel graphics 3000 video card. This is an integrated video card, IE a bad one. It may even handicap the gameplay for Technic. I think he should at the very least try to have a real video card if he wants to play video games with this computer. Also, the hard drive is perfectly satisfying depending on the price, 640GB should be plenty.

Two questions, what precisely is this computer? (Brand, code)

And how much is he paying for it? For 600 bucks, there's definitely more advantageous.

Edit :

power you through cyberspace

CHEEESYYY AS HELLLLL.

Oh, of course. I personally think that a 17.3 screen is overwhelming, a 15 inch is still Very nice (Capital letter) to look at, and it'll make him economize a lot, making space in the budget for better hardware all around, including a respectable video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215390

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246323

Those are a far better offers, if you ask me.

Oooo I will recommend this to him since it is around the same price and better! Thanks.

Welcome! It's incredible what a little bit of digging can get you as profits when looking for a computer.

See this performance laptop at 4000 bucks?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158979

I got another laptop, literally a third of the price, with better specs all around!

Also, don't worry for school work, even the shittiest notebook can use Microsoft Word or Powerpoint without problems.

See this performance laptop at 4000 bucks?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158979

I got another laptop, literally a third of the price, with better specs all around!

I see two reasons for the price on that laptop. One is the brand: HPs are always overpriced for the hardware, especially laptops. The 2nd is the video card. That's a 3d-modelling (SolidWorks) approved card, and it's...not really designed for gaming. You would buy that laptop for a design engineer that's on the road a decent amount.

For reference, my father uses a 2.4 GHz dual-core with 2 GiB of RAM and a GeForce 8600GT, and Technic can barely run on the smallest view distance with some bloated mods turned off. Some upgrades are definitely recommended.

I see two reasons for the price on that laptop. One is the brand: HPs are always overpriced for the hardware, especially laptops. The 2nd is the video card. That's a 3d-modelling (SolidWorks) approved card, and it's...not really designed for gaming. You would buy that laptop for a design engineer that's on the road a decent amount.

Is that so? And who thought I was looking smart for once! :D

We learn everyday. ;D