What the heck is up with Buildcraft MJ?

Captain Man

What do you mean not very realistic? I got a combustion engine in my car and I refill water about as often as I change sparkplugs and the oil. Its a closed system unless you have a leak. the water is cooled in the fan and circulated.

The only engine I can see that fits the in game combustion engine would be the steam engines in the 1800's but the in game steam engines ironically requires no water.

I wasn't aware of that. Not one to know much about any given car aside from whether or not it'll start doing what I want if I stick a key in it. But water can be infinitely generated in Minecraft anyway. There's not much need for a closed system like that, just pull water out of an infinite spring. As a gameplay mechanic, though, I'd say it can be annoying and I wouldn't disagree with taking it out. There are others, though, who like micromanagement of such things, which is why I'd say have an option for it, as well as countless other potential things in any given mod that's game-changing on the scale Buildcraft is.

What do you mean not very realistic? I got a combustion engine in my car and I refill water about as often as I change sparkplugs and the oil. Its a closed system unless you have a leak. the water is cooled in the fan and circulated.

The only engine I can see that fits the in game combustion engine would be the steam engines in the 1800's but the in game steam engines ironically requires no water.

Oh snap, you're right. That is a good idea for BC. Have it so water can cool an engine but the water heats up, and it can passively cool itself faster than the engine (assuming a built in radiator). More water means more passive cooling. If the passive cooling is overcome by the heating of the engine some of the water could evaporate (yeah, yeah, not possible on a closed loop but I still like the idea of having to manage the engines) so it's possible to make an engine run, I don't, maybe 50% or 75% effectively with a full tank of water and not needing to refill. Down side is you don't have a fully outputting engine. Upsides are, as someone said earlier combustion engines are rediculous by requiring a side for redstone a side for input a side for coolant and a side for output, oh but now, for a reduced but still effective engine (better than coal engine of course) you can have only 3 sides used allowing for some more compact designs.

Honestly I can't think of a way it'd actually save space unless it were two sides but I know some of you techineers are freakishly creative with these machines.

Anybody ever considered the reason information about Buildcraft is so scarce is because you have to actually pay money for the official documentation on the Buildcraft site? I bet that's a contributing factor.

If you really want the facts, it's best to just browse the source code (available for free). I tried, but I'm used to C/C++, and somehow, despite the similarities, Java just looks like ASCII vomit. Oh well.

Maybe things will change a bit with Krapht in charge now. We'll see.

Anybody ever considered the reason information about Buildcraft is so scarce is because you have to actually pay money for the official documentation on the Buildcraft site? I bet that's a contributing factor.

If you really want the facts, it's best to just browse the source code (available for free). I tried, but I'm used to C/C++, and somehow, despite the similarities, Java just looks like ASCII vomit. Oh well.

Maybe things will change a bit with Krapht in charge now. We'll see.

Thats per version too, at a really high price.

Honestly, I was about to buy it untill i realise how scarce information was elsewhere and the per version thing. I'm definatly /not/ going to support such a model.