Tekkit server Lag issues. Common causes and Fixes (Help From the community)

Hi I am the Proud owner of a Tekkit server and would like to ask the community here about why Tekkit lags. Currently I am running my server with ZSuperhost. there specks are

ZSuperhost box : 3.4Ghz 4 core i7 with 32gb of ram (servers run with multicraft)

Now i also am in the process of moving over to a new box there for im running my server on my pc

My Pc: 2.9Ghz (4core) i7 870 hyperthreding up to 3.6Ghz 4 virtual cores and i have 8 gb of ram 5 dedicated to the server.

I have had a new map for less than a week. and in some cases the server tick rate drops down to 4 Tps when only 10-20 people are on. I have banned many items Relays and engines (Execpt for Red stone engines) and many griefing items. im using a patch for the Rm and Dm tools so they are not banned. Now here is a plugin list if any of you think it my plugins.

AntiMulti.jar

BKCommonLib

BOSEconomy.jar

Buycraft.jar

ChatManager.jar

ChestShop.jar

ClearLag.jar

config.yml

ConsoleFilter.jar

CreeperHeal.jar

DynColor.jar

EasyVanish.jar

EquipControl.jar

Essentials.jar

EssentialsSpawn.jar

GPRealEstate.jar

GriefPrevention.jar

itemban.jar

Jobs.jar

LinksOnSigns.jar

LogBlock.jar

LogBlockQuestioner.jar

MineBackup-5.9.3.jar

MinecraftRKitPlugin.jar

Multiverse-Core-2.5.jar

Multiverse-Portals-2.5.jar

NoLagg.jar

NoLaggExamine.jar

NoLaggMonitor.jar

PermissionsEx.jar

PlugMan.jar

PW_Warps_V1.2.2_en.jar

ReserveList.jar

Scavenger.jar

ScheduledAnnouncer.jar

SignLink.jar

SimpleChestLock.jar

SimpleClans-2.3.4.jar

simpleregionmarket-2.0.3.jar

TerrainControl.jar

Vault.jar

Votifier.jar

VoxelSniper.jar

WorldBorder.jar

WorldEdit.jar

WorldGuard.jar

My map is 1.4 GB :| my world border is at 5000 radius

My max slot count is 75. I am on Tekkit 3.1.2

My question for you all is Why is it lagging in some cases the tick rate is at 15TPS but some times the server hangs for 5 ticks like some one world edited. and then some times it drops and hangs at 7 when i get about 25-35 people on. now Recently i think some one has found a way to make servers lag very badly cause when I get only 17 people on it really starts lagging. If you think it is a massive factory or Eu or EMC farm I cant find it.

Please leave suggestions as to what I should do Also Feal free to post your TPS and your Ways you prevent lag on your server Like banned items and why you think this prevents lag. Thanks for taking time to read this and i hope i can get some good feed back form you all!

I run a small private server with never more than 10 users at a time on, but I've discussed this very issue with people, even though I rarely drop below 14-18, and even then it doesn't last or I simply restart the server and it goes away.. but I digress. Common things for people to look at would be:

intricate buildcraft piping - always encourage users to use redpower whenever possible, ESPECIALLY for large, elaborate or item intensive projects. basically stay away from buildcraft except in cases where it actually makes more sense to use it instead of redpower (dealing with liquids and other mods such as railcraft is a great example of this)

improper ic2 wiring - encourage users to paint wires and keep any loops to a minimum, especially "grids" or energy in / out mixing

inefficient use of mods - redpower is powerful, and again with the encouragement.. users should think smarter, collect items in ender chests at the source, and extract them by the stack at the destination to avoid long tubes full of single items.. I don't care how much better redpower is than buildcraft at this, efficiency simply has to be better at helping you save resources. (examples of efficiency include pulling full stacks every 2+ seconds on a timer, instead of 8 sorting machines on .2 sec timers, I'm not sure how much this affects server performance, but I know a certain large server bans people for multiple offenses of breaking the "no timers under 2s" rule, which isn't a problem for me, since my server is so small I can counsel each individual user in smarter implementation

deliberate exploiting / epic fail - there is no two ways about this, either someone is exploiting the sticky piston and sand / gravel duping bug, or exploiting some other mod like computercraft or ee, or just plain fudging it, for lack of a better term, deal with this.

I personally don't see a drop in TPS with 10 or so users, I certainly have at least some of the problems I described above going on, but I don't use nearly as many plugins.. (I use worldguard, worldedit, endreset, choptree2, quickbench, silkspawners, dynmap, permissions, and lagmeter) I DO use a third party server management software called Multicraft, but I am not endorsing it, it kind of sucks. I am using a Phenom II x4 @ 3.1ghz with 3gb of ram dedicated to the server, but my map is only about 400mb..

Good luck!

Try checking out this thread:

http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/cb-upgrading-tekkit-3-1-2.19176/

I can tell from experience that the default 3.1.2 jar file sucks horribly. Don't know what's wrong with it, but it just plain sucks.

CB++ works very well, but I kept encountering random errors.

Installed CB-- (Spigot) and it has been running beautifully 48 hours with no issues whatsoever.