Strangge redstone engine overheating

Triple_T

Question

Title: Strangge redstone engine overheating

Version: 3.0.3/3.0.4

Java Version: Java 7u5

Description of Problem:

One of the 4 redstone engines I use to pump water and cool combustion engines always overheats. Can't quite figure out why, I have an arrangement of 3 of these pumps and the same engine each pump always overheats, making the combustion engines go critical very fast.

Error Messages:

Error Log:

10 answers to this question

this is not a bug. its just your lack of knowledge in BC. Redstone engines going red is normal. redstone engine only explode on energy overload and so does steam engines the only engine that overload on temperature is combustion engines thus the cooling. The only way i know of exploding a redstone engine is to pump it power using an adjacent energy link or other engines.

Thanks for thinking i know jack-all about BC. Unfortunately you're whole post is not only irrelevant but insultingly-so. I've never had a problem with any other pump, any other redstone engine and I'm quite aware of the function of combustion engines. Thus you're missing the point. The problem is that these 3 particular redstone engines on these 3 pumps go red and "stop", making the combustion engines go critical (perhaps stating the obvious is what confused you) I've never seen the redstone engine behave this way before hence why i'm reporting it. When you have something constructive to add feel free to give it another try.

the redstone engine stoped? that is not supposed to happen...

You were just using a pump for water for combustion engines and it happened? never heard of something like that before

weird

sorry, i don't understnd that much in BC except that if you put 4 redstone engines around a pump it should make enough power for the pump so that it can always be perfectly filling the engines and have the whole line full all the time

sorry that i cannot be much help,

daKaosjr

Redstone engines will heat up and shut down. This i normal BC behavior. The solution is to turn them off for a little bit and let them cool down to about green. Letting them cool to blue i not recommended, because then they need to build up heat to reach optimum temperature.

I'm pretty sure that it's not normal behavior, redstone engines should never overheat but the fact that these 3 are is very puzzling, the only thing it could really be is that perhaps the chunk isn't loading properly, other than that I can't quite figure it out

I am assuming its not a visual bug an the combustion engines are going critical because of it. Please do not insult me just because your bug report is not specific enough. You mentioned Overheat which i assumed it to just go red and not that it stop pumping also. I care to ask is this a locally hosted server or is it a friends server if its your server, do you have any error that occurring on he server console?

I agree its not normal behaviour as i have redstone engines that is running 24/7 on a server for 2 months without a hitch.

I read from other sources that redstone engines do shut down when it overheats however i cannot confirm that as i never experienced such event. I would assume if this is the case, it means

1. Somehow the pump isnt receiving power from the engines enough to stop it from overheating.

2. The target source isnt recieving the water fast enough causing an energy buildup at the pump end.

Heres a question: I noticed 3 teleport pipes leading off each pump. i care to ask are they leading to a same target location? If so, try switching it to 2 pumps instead of 3 as if you are cooling combustion engines my knowledge is that one pump with 4 RS engines can support 2 Combustion engines

I've done a load of testing with this a while back in my power plant. You need a 3x3 water supply (2x2 dries up), pump in corner, 4 redstone engines, gold waterproof transport pipe, to 3 combustion engines running on fuel. Anything else, even cobble waterproof pipes will cause it to eventually go bang. Ran it 24/7 in this config for months, and was producing ~5000eu/t converted through an energy generator.

Only time I have seen redstone engines go like this on a pump is when there is no water below the pump. Other than that it is probably a chunk edge issue or some such.

Yes I believe it's the water that's backing up because i got 3 teleport pipes steeaming water to 10 combustion engines, i got the same setup elsewhere and it runs fine however that set-up has tank in which the water can build up and restore before getting sent out again. Thanks for the help I believe i've fixed it.