Oil Fields

Simia85

Hey guys, so i've tried creating random worlds where i'm able to find loads of oil, but i've had no real success. Does anyone know if A) it's possible to generate it via MCEdit or B) know of a world seed that i could use to create a world rich with oil? I want to bathe in the rich dark liquid from the deep to fuel some awesome creations!

Thanks!

I was hoping to get it runnin on SP, don't know much about servers or server running, even on a local machine. I've read some posts that world seeds sharing doesn't really work cause the oil randomly spawns in different areas. Bugger. But i'll try the server thing you mentioned. Any tips?

Yea i just got lucky actually from the desert biome actually, i found it on the side of a sand hill, prolly 20 blocks high so i'm gonna play with it now. I tend to try and stay away from the ocean biomes because i've had issues where i pull the oil and end up pulling water instead. But thanks for the tip!

Yea i just got lucky actually from the desert biome actually, i found it on the side of a sand hill, prolly 20 blocks high so i'm gonna play with it now. I tend to try and stay away from the ocean biomes because i've had issues where i pull the oil and end up pulling water instead. But thanks for the tip!

yeah I have that problem on my main oil rig, I sadly had to abandon it :(

Oil and water mixing isn't so bad, guys - just put a water strainer somewhere in a straight section of your oil pipeline, pop a redstone torch (or other redstone power source) next to it, and it'll destroy any water that tries to come through your pipeline, while leaving any oil untouched. There's other ways to pump ocean oil while filtering out water, but that's the one I like.

Oil and water mixing isn't so bad, guys - just put a water strainer somewhere in a straight section of your oil pipeline, pop a redstone torch (or other redstone power source) next to it, and it'll destroy any water that tries to come through your pipeline, while leaving any oil untouched. There's other ways to pump ocean oil while filtering out water, but that's the one I like.

water strainer?

http://thetekkit.wikia.com/wiki/Water_Strainer

It can be used like a geothermal generator, but for water, and plugged into your main energy network to add a bit of extra power. Give it redstone power, and it destroys any water that exceeds its storage, making it work well as a filter.

Another way to filter out water would be to set up a separate water tank, then use a waterproof diamond pipe to send water into that tank, by putting a water bucket into the pipe's filter slot.

EDIT - having looked at that wiki page again, it seems that using it as a filter now crashes everything - my info was a little out of date, sorry. Diamond waterproof pipes should still work as a filtering method though.