pistons explode

Bazak

Question

Title: pistons explode

Version: 3.1.2

Java Version: latest

Description of Problem:

ok i was making a secret piston door on my server and my pistons exploded and destroyed most of my circuitry. i can find no mention of pistons being able to explode for any reason other than tnt, nuke etc or a creeper none of which were involved.

Error Messages:

none

Error Log:

none

well im sorry but they did. none of that was involved. only redstone , red alloy wire, redstone torches a button and repeaters. for some reason the pistons exploded i was staring right at them when they did it. and i knew what every block involved was because i was building really high up above an ocean biom in a floating house.

EDIT: quick note there are no machines placed anywhere on my server atm. the only ones i have are in my alchemical bag

seems there was a NOT gate loop in my circuitry before the pistons started wigging out and then exploded.

but again i would like to ask what i could possibly have messed up that would cause an explosions with only vanilla minecraft redstone stuff, pistons and some red alloy wire. honestly i would have hard time believing this too if i hadnt been facing the pistons as they suddenly wigged out and a few seconds late exploded

nope my entire floating house is lit up like a tanning bed and the pistons were to far away from me for a creeper to have been close enuf to be to start exploding even if i had been moving away from the pistons at the time. i wouldnt have posted if i thought it coulda been that

dang i woulda thought a strange and obscure bug would have gotten a kinder response instead of just, "it couldnt happen it must have been this or this." i have no problem accepting i made a mistake if i did and moving on but i could think of no way i could be at fault for the explosion. i just came here to let people know so maybe i and others could avoid it in the future. i know enough about tekkit and minecraft to think of the above ideas before coming here and i decided none of them fit as a plausible explanation.

dang i woulda thought a strange and obscure bug would have gotten a kinder response instead of just, "it couldnt happen it must have been this or this." i have no problem accepting i made a mistake if i did and moving on but i could think of no way i could be at fault for the explosion. i just came here to let people know so maybe i and others could avoid it in the future. i know enough about tekkit and minecraft to think of the above ideas before coming here and i decided none of them fit as a plausible explanation.

Well, we just told you (In a perfectly polite manner, if you ask me) the cold, hard truth. The only other possible thing I can imagine is that there was a griefer with an invisible cheat client who spawned a TNT somewhere or something. Pistons, or redstone for that matter don't explode, and explosion don't just appear from nowhere.

that is why i reported it as a bug. it cant happen and it did. next noone else was on my server i was watching the command prompt im the only one who has ever been on my server. i understand why its hard to believe an item with nothing marking it to be able to explode exploding is hard to believe. again i would be very dubious as well if i hadnt been staring straight at it. i would have assumed.

im just trying to understand what happened is all.

that is why i reported it as a bug. it cant happen and it did. next noone else was on my server i was watching the command prompt im the only one who has ever been on my server. i understand why its hard to believe an item with nothing marking it to be able to explode exploding is hard to believe. again i would be very dubious as well if i hadnt been staring straight at it. i would have assumed.

im just trying to understand what happened is all.

Was it raining? Maybe it was a lightning bolt. If you're too close, you don't see them sometimes, and the vanilla sounds are sometimes absent due to MAtmos.

sry for long reply been busy with RL, at ninja.... please dont randomly insult me without reason. at luigimario there wasnt a crater but there was the explosion animation like you see with tnt, which i usualy dont see for some reason most of the time, maybe my computers processor just isnt up to rendering explosions in time. anyways back on topic yes your right i have seen that too. i just cant believe it because i would have had to been in line of sight close enough to it long enough to trigger its explosion and i was too far away for the timing of the explosion to allow for it. i pressed a button and an accidental flaw in my design caused a NOT gate loop which usualy wigs out turning on and off really fast then finnaly causing all the redstone torches involved to shut off. however this time for some reason the pistons wigged out opening and closing really really fast and then exploded.

i too find it absurd and impossible because i cant think of any way for this to happen at all. except with creepers and other things ive ruled out. i wish i had recording software and had recorded it. honestly i didnt really expect much in the way of helpfullness was just posting it cuz i figured i had found a bug that ive never heard of before and the people who mod and stuff would be interested to know what happened. prolly best just to drop this thread anyways, especialy if someone just outright jumped in only to say i may be a troll. thanks for all the responses.

exactly why i posted this because it didnt make sense but it happened. this would be the definition of a bug, the game not working as intended, im just putting it down as a 1 in a trillion chance bug of a complex and highly convoluted and unlikely nature. and if you didnt read the rest of the thread before posting then please dont be rude. i mean if you saw an apple fall up would you just quote newton at it? i would tell others even if they wont believe me, even if you couldnt ever replicate it and it was a chance occurence of a million different and extremely unlikely circumstance i would tell people because its what i saw happen. basicly im saying lets drop it and if anymore people post without something along the lines of pistons do not explode i will just report you let the bug report die that was sorta the point of my last post a response and then cutting it off, so again i say let it die, i really shoulda seen this coming that it wouldnt be constructive or helpfull to anyone

well my apologies, i said my server and that noone else had ever been on it. my mistake i thought by OP you meant original poster, i read you wrong my bad. its my private server for playing with RL friends. my computer couldnt handle more than 2 people on the server im fairly sure.

"next noone else was on my server i was watching the command prompt im the only one who has ever been on my server." from my previous post, only the person running the server could view the command prompt while its running. and i specified noone else has ever logged on to my server, ever.

yes but noone has ever been on the server except me (it would show in the logs and i play tekkit in windowed mode so i see the cmd prompt as well as the game while im playing noone has ever been on my server but me, wouldnt matter if someone had op im running the server and said noone has ever ever been on it but me.)

i am setting up secret bases etc and my friend hasnt got minecraft yet.

The only way a piston could explode is if some serious mess up was made during install. This would probably require multiple items using the same ID without any of the MANY checks in place noticing. The statistical probability of it is... very low.

More realistically, I have experienced many odd creeper issues. I would say it was probably one of the following:

• Entity/mob identity issues can sometimes cause creepers to not be rendered client-side
  • Any amount of server lag can cause a creeper in caves to lag up from underground, sometimes exploding through the ground. I have seen them do this through several layers of solid blocks before.
  • Entity/mob location issues and/or high ping can sometimes cause mobs to think they are closer to you than they are. I have seen zombies attack from several blocks away, and I have seen creepers explode places I am not and was not.
  • Any combination of the above

Keep in mind that your accidental redstone loop will have invariably caused both high ping AND high CPU use during those few seconds. Possibly in a spike quick enough it wouldn't show in any console, if things exploded. Also keep in mind that none of the issues I mentioned would cause any visible console errors.

I had mentioned this to a friend of mine that uses redstone more often than I do, and he said he has seen things that seem like this, but without pistons. What he supposes happened was that you had missed putting torches in one of the redstone areas, and that a creeper spawned in there, glitched out thinking it was by you, and exploded. Hard to say if it was that, or from a cave.

The only way a piston could explode is if some serious mess up was made during install. This would probably require multiple items using the same ID without any of the MANY checks in place noticing. The statistical probability of it is... very low.

More realistically, I have experienced many odd creeper issues. I would say it was probably one of the following:

• Entity/mob identity issues can sometimes cause creepers to not be rendered client-side
  • Any amount of server lag can cause a creeper in caves to lag up from underground, sometimes exploding through the ground. I have seen them do this through several layers of solid blocks before.
  • Entity/mob location issues and/or high ping can sometimes cause mobs to think they are closer to you than they are. I have seen zombies attack from several blocks away, and I have seen creepers explode places I am not and was not.
  • Any combination of the above

Keep in mind that your accidental redstone loop will have invariably caused both high ping AND high CPU use during those few seconds. Possibly in a spike quick enough it wouldn't show in any console, if things exploded. Also keep in mind that none of the issues I mentioned would cause any visible console errors.

I had mentioned this to a friend of mine that uses redstone more often than I do, and he said he has seen things that seem like this, but without pistons. What he supposes happened was that you had missed putting torches in one of the redstone areas, and that a creeper spawned in there, glitched out thinking it was by you, and exploded. Hard to say if it was that, or from a cave.

ya i think that what your friend said seems likely i never thought of a creeper not rendering, and at the very least i kno there was one corner where the light was low enough that something could have had a low chance to spawn. so an invisible creeper seems likeliest to me, i usualy dont see the explosion animation (the little crescent circles and stuff) except for items exploding creeper explosions i dont usualy see the animation.

course it could have been the incredibly unlikely scenario you mentioned, thats why i felt skeptical about posting this at first cuz i knew somehow the game would have had to confuse what the item was, which if that is what happened is sort of a dumbfounding 1 in a million chance thing.

but ya i think an invisicreeper prolly got me now that you mention it. couldnt have lagged up to me from underground tho as my base was floating like 20 blocks above the ocean surface. (unless there was a seriously massive glitching up lol, that would sorta be worth the fixing if i had seen something like that. i know i was breaking tearing appart stuff in the mechanism area at the time so i might have taken out the torch too during my rewireing before i figured out it was a NOT gate loop problem. (exacerbated during the explosion by me pressing the activation button repeatedly in frustration at it working funky.)