Default installation of Tekkit server isn't working...

Flenix

OK, firstly I'd just like to say, I tried asking a question and posting in the bugs area - neither of which I had permission for. Came here and saw others asking questions, so if this is "wrong", I apologize.

Anyway, onto the matter at hand:

I just downloaded the Tekkit server and Technic launcher. However, when I try and launch the server, it seems most of the mods included are bugged in one way or another. I get a lot of error messages about clashing item IDs and mods which can't load, and have to remove nearly half to get a loading server.

So, my question is: Is that normal? It doesn't seem right that it doesn't work "out of the box" to me. Frankly I wasn't expecting mods to be included, but I'm glad they are :D

Have I done something wrong here, or was there a bug in my download?

Any help would be great. I've been running various servers since Alpha (Using hMod, Bukkit + Spout), but this is my first venture into Tekkit after a friend asked me to make a Tekkit server. Guess that makes me a newbie again :P

you have to have a running bukkit server first to run tekkit server on top of it.

Please ignore this man. It's normal for Tekkit to run out of the box, as it is a Bukkit server. How are you attempting to run the server?

Also, this is in the wrong place. I suggest posting a bug report in the Tekkit Bug Board with more relevant information.

Please ignore this man. It's normal for Tekkit to run out of the box, as it is a Bukkit server. How are you attempting to run the server?
I thought that too - there is no mention anywhere of Bukkit and its not in the startup script either. Anyways its on my Linux-based dedi, starting via the included startup script.
Also, this is in the wrong place. I suggest posting a bug report in the Tekkit Bug Board with more relevant information.
Yeah I said that at the start of the post. Apparently I don't have permission to post in there... Seemed a little odd to me, but oh well. Any chance a moderator can move the post, or should I just make a new one? (Rules said I shouldn't make duplicate posts)

Apparently I don't have permission to post in there... Seemed a little odd to me, but oh well. Any chance a moderator can move the post, or should I just make a new one? (Rules said I shouldn't make duplicate posts)

There are buttons outside and inside the board section to Submit a Bug Report, just to keep things standardized a bit.

Thats funny torezu, it wouldn't function for me in a folder of its own unless I put bukkit in there first and had it functioning beforehand. :/

What's in your startup script?

Tekkit alone works fine, its when mods are installed I get errors. So it certainty doesn't need Bukkit, unless maybe one of the mods does for some reason....

Also, bug report opened: http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/various-mods-arent-loading-current-download-of-tekkit-doesnt-work-quot-out-of-the-box-quot.23951/

What's in your startup script?

Tekkit alone works fine, its when mods are installed I get errors. So it certainty doesn't need Bukkit, unless maybe one of the mods does for some reason....

Also, bug report opened: http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/various-mods-arent-loading-current-download-of-tekkit-doesnt-work-quot-out-of-the-box-quot.23951/

i haven't looked in a while. I mean it took me all of 10 minutes to get the server up and running and I never really mucked with it after. And Upgrades simply drop in over the old .jar

It's ok, I'm allowed to be wrong at least once a week :)

i haven't looked in a while. I mean it took me all of 10 minutes to get the server up and running and I never really mucked with it after. And Upgrades simply drop in over the old .jar

It's ok, I'm allowed to be wrong at least once a week :)

Where did you get that number from? You're not allowed to be wrong at all around here! ;)

But seriously, if you for some reason need a running copy of a Bukkit server before a Tekkit will work, you may be setting it up wrong.

Where did you get that number from? You're not allowed to be wrong at all around here! ;)

But seriously, if you for some reason need a running copy of a Bukkit server before a Tekkit will work, you may be setting it up wrong.

i remember running the script to set it up all in its own folder and it refused to work. I then ran it in the bukkit server folder I had been running and it worked flawlessly. Even worked with all my mods already there. Go figure. Been running that way for over 6 months now.

Sounds like a permission issue - you couldn't run the script in the normal folder because it didn't have permission.

The location of the script doesn't matter at all, because they point to where the relevant things are - the script tells the server where to look for Tekkit.jar (or whatever it is you're starting) - Personally I always have scripts in the default place that the SSH goes to for a quick-start every time.