Bad Chunk Issue

_Div

Question

Title: Bad Chunk Issue

Version: 3.1.2

Java Version: 7

Description of Problem:

I seem to have created a bug in a chunk in my world. If I am in that area, I can barely even move because of the lag issues. Yesterday we restored a backup from about a day earlier, which worked fine. The game worked for many hours after that and worked today. After I got home from work and tried playing, the bad chunk seems to have re-appeared.

If I move outside the chunk, everything works just fine. I tried deleting part of the chunk (my quarry) with MCEdit, and also broke down my energy collectors (which according to the wiki can cause problems if attached to something on accident).

These steps didn't fix the problem with that chunk. Is there any way to locate what is causing the chunk to malfunction? I'd prefer not to wipe the whole chunk because of all the work I've put into it.

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: The friend I play with has the same issues as me. He can play just fine near his home in the game, but if he gets too close to my area he gets the unbearable lag. Friend is using a Mac of some type.

Error Messages:

Error Log:

10 answers to this question

I'd like to bump this topic, because myself, friends, and another server I joined has the same issue. For some reason, a chunk just randomly "goes bad" in an area, and starts lagging to the extreme. Even by removing the entire chunk, nothing fixed it. I'm not sure what devices were in the areas, but I'm slightly sure there wasn't even anything there that would do that.

It might be something with lighting, but I'm not sure about that. Either way, it happens in Tekkit, but not in Vanilla.

same thing happened to me with my old buildcraft sorting facility. even after removing all machines and pipes the problem is still present. i think this happens even in vanilla (1.2.5) - the nether lags. by the look of a debug graph the lightning is the issue, probably something wrong with lava :/

With the quarries make sure they don't run if nobody's near them. if a ton of items try to travel through a pipe that's in an unloaded chunk they'll instead just pop out of the tube and dump on the ground. If you open the map in MCedit I bet there's a massive pile of cobble on the floor someplace. If there is you should be able to delete the items and it'll go back to normal.

definitely not a quarry issue (at least in my case) - I tried removing stuff on the ground via command, no change. Also, if this would be the issue lag wouldn't appear ONLY on 1 chunk, but also on every chunk in vicinity (view range of a client?). [when I go few blocks from bad chunk to the next one I'm back to my 30fps from 2fps]

Having the same problem on my server too, major fps lag in 1 chunk, can be outside of it by a few blocks and be fine, take a few steps into the chunk and unplayable fps. There was no problem the one night then the next day this started with no changes being made, it has us really confused.

Has anyone managed to find a cause or fix for this?

I had this happen in one section of the map and after many attempts at removing the area I just finally wrote it off as it was pretty far out and just belonged to me. Now it has happened again, but right in the middle of a player created town.

For anyone who does not understand the problem The CPU and Memory usage is just fine when the chunk is not loaded, not a single bit of lag for anyone. But the min that chunk gets loaded the my server CPU jumps to 100%, but you can still move fine. As soon as you get near or inside the chunk however frame rate drops to 1 or 2 and you can hardly move. I have tried so many different fixes, and have not had anything work.

I would love to know just what is the cause, the first base was full of machinery but this town is very primitive. I'm actually at the point of not even bothering with it anymore, but I'm not going to keep running tekkit for a server with these problems causing a reset every week. The only plugin I was running the first time it happened was Tekkit, now I have worldedit, essentials, and permissions added.