Need help. Connection Interruptions with Everything.

CoolBeans

So for about a year now I have been having "connection interruptions" with everything voice chats, games and even downloads. So I guess I noticed it when I made a minecraft server for my friends and everyone at the same time said that they would freeze and would "stutter" in place for about five seconds and this would happen roughly every 5 - 15 minutes. I used to think it was them but then when I joined a Black Ops server and got some "connection interruptions" and it did the same thing. I don't know if this has always been happening but it got real annoying real fast.

Obviously it's not 1 mb/s, otherwise you wouldn't be having these issues. As for solutions, you'll need to let us know:

• Wired or wireless connection to modem?
  • Wired or wireless connection to ISP?
  • How's the weather been?

Also, check to see if your bandwidth is really small. If your bandwidth is tiny, then obviously the 1 mb/s is going to be an extremely narrow measure and only apply to narrow usage.

I have AT&T and a speed of 1Mbps :/

1 Mbps (Megabits per second, just to be clear) is really, REALLY slow. that's just barely better than a 56k modem and by that I mean only twice as fast. I'm surprised you can do much of anything with a connection of that speed.

as for multi-minute connection drops, could be a lot of things. with bandwidth like that, it would not be hard for a background process to saturate your connection and give you issues like this. anything from adobe updater to windows update could cause that kind of problem, let alone actual connection issues.

1 Mb/s is 1000 Kb/s. 56k is 56 Kb/s.

His connection speed isn't the issue.

you are right, it's not 2 times, it's 20 times. way to go late night math.

however, 1 megabit per second is still very, very little bandwidth and can hardly even be considered "broadband". most cable connections offer 24 or more Mb/s for instance. it's important to note that we're talking about megaBITS, and not megaBYTES. 8 megaBITS per second would be 1 megaBYTE per second. this time, I'm not half asleep and my math is right :)

Finally, someone else who suffers of <=1Mb/s, terribly intermittent AT&T connection.

I don't know about OP, but I'm on a wired connection to modem + ISP, and I've had this problem for too long for me to suspect weather.

At the time of posting this, speedtest.net shows a BLISTERING down speed of 0.45 Mb/s

The problem is with your ISP delivering unreliable service. There's nothing much to do about it but switch ISPs. It may be a modem problem, but I doubt it.

I had an old ISP that would have a connection cut out 3-4 times a week. It's very frustrating.

I considered it being a modem problem, but at this point I'm just going to switch ISPs considering AT&T refuses to acknowledge that anything is wrong with the connection and they're still charging me for the 3 Mb/s I'm supposed to be getting. I'm about ready to lay the damn Comcast cable myself.

Obviously it's not 1 mb/s, otherwise you wouldn't be having these issues. As for solutions, you'll need to let us know:

Wired or wireless connection to modem?

Wired or wireless connection to ISP?

How's the weather been?

Also, check to see if your bandwidth is really small. If your bandwidth is tiny, then obviously the 1 mb/s is going to be an extremely narrow measure and only apply to narrow usage.

1) I have my modem connected to a wireless router and my computer is wireless.

2) Wireless to my ISP

3) Rainy and hot but it doesn't rain every like all year.

For some reason AT&T says that's the fastest internet we can have without going to U-verse. It might be with where I live. Could the problem be that I still have a home phone?

My wireless router isn't made by AT&T could that be a problem?

From what gennah says, it appears to be a problem with AT&T. if they refuse to fess up to thier mistakes and fix them (hopefully they are mistakes, and not an underhand method of trying to get you to upgrade your service plan) then you should switch ISP's. If a company refuses to deliver the product they sell, then they will lose business. that's the way it works.